Old September 27th, 2011, 06:41 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Dirtydeedz is on a distinguished road
Default How to share my printer.

I have my printer plugged into the usb port on the back of this router. However, the USB indicator LED does not illuminate nor can I find the printer on the network. Any suggestions?
Old September 27th, 2011, 06:55 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to share my printer.

did you turn the router OFF and plug the USB then turn the router ON?
Old September 27th, 2011, 05:08 PM
NETGEAR User

billshih1975 is on a distinguished road

you can check this link.
http://www.netgear.com/landing/en-us/readyshare.aspx
Old September 28th, 2011, 04:41 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

bobsilver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtydeedz View Post
I have my printer plugged into the usb port on the back of this router. However, the USB indicator LED does not illuminate nor can I find the printer on the network. Any suggestions?
You need the Netgear USB Control software. This manages the usb port and printer control. You wont see the printer on the net. It shares it through the router. Once you download and install the SW you will see what I mean.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
Old October 4th, 2011, 12:17 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

MCShack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post
You need the Netgear USB Control software. This manages the usb port and printer control. You wont see the printer on the net. It shares it through the router. Once you download and install the SW you will see what I mean.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
Thanks Bob for myself and others including the OP, but there is not one word about how to do this on the box, in the simple/basic setup instructions included inside the box and lastly, not one word in the complete 117 page manual which is not included (must be found and downloaded from Netgear website) with the $180 router that touts 2 usb ports for storage drive and printer sharing wirelessly. Also, on the website, the instructions there only say to install the "NETGEAR USB Control Center" utility, not the "ReadySHARE" utility (which may be and probably are the same thing, but how would one know this?) and the animated "How To" video only mentions installing Bonjour for PC (WNDRMAC only). None of this still answers the OP question about the LED light on the front of the router for the printer, does it illuminate when a printer is connected at all or not? These are only meant to be friendly suggestions and my personal opinions as to how to improve the very limited documentation in the box and the possibly confusing information on the website. Thank you again for your time.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:36 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

thintz is on a distinguished road

I would love a lcear answer on this also. I am trying to get a USB-connecrt4ed printer to be seen, connected o light up that little light. I downloaded the USB software as mentioned above, it sees it, lets me "connect manually" but that's it. Nothing works then either.
the WDNR4500 seems like a great router but it has a major hitch in its git-a-long with this USB printer thing. Until I can get that straightened out, I just took a $180 step backwards.
Old November 6th, 2011, 11:01 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

MCShack is on a distinguished road

I can print with my HP printer connected to either of the usb ports using the NetGear USB Control software or just using one of the ethernet ports. The printer of course shows on my network when connected to an ethernet port. With the usb connection the printer does not show on the network, but does show in the separate software, however neither of the usb lights on the router are lit when connected like with the ethernet ports. However the only way to print to the printer when on one of the usb ports is to have the NetGear USB Control software installed on the device from which you wish to print which is limited to my PCs or laptops in my case. The usb lights seem only to operate when a usb drive is connected, but the drive does not show up in the USB Control software or in the network map with NetGear Genie, it does show in the ReadyShare tab of Genie and as a ReadyShare drive with a USB Storage folder under Network on my PC.
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:23 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Dirtydeedz is on a distinguished road
Talking *UPDATE*: How to share my printer.

Hey all, sorry it took me so long to get back here w/ a reply. Thanks to all that responded.

I have my Printer(HP 5600) working on my network via the USB ports (the green led on WNDR4500 is NOT lighted). I have only tested this w/ a PC directly connected to the router via an Ethernet cable. I will try wirelessly on a Mac Notebook when "the boss" gets home.

What I did.
1. Click here, find the printer section and download the "Readyshare" Software aka NETGEAR USB Control Center.
2. Install the software. *NOTE* Do not become discourged if this take several minutes. I have an Intel Core i7 Quad Core 4Ghz processor and the process took 3-4min for this installation to complete.
3. Now, you should be able to find the printer in the "Add a Printer" section of Windows. I'm running Win7 HP; so, I can't comment on any other MS Windows OS.
4. Once you have the printer installed in Windows, you should be able to right-click on the icon and choose Preferences to set the Printer up to your liking.
*Note* My printer is a combo Print/Scan. And, both options are available

Hope this info is helpful.
Old November 15th, 2011, 03:10 PM

Ignorint is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: How to share my printer.

All applications I try to print from crash as soon as I select Print or Page Setup. (Notepad, Word, Adobe Reader, Excel) Details follow.

I installed the Netgear USB Control Center program and left it running in the background. (Like another writer noted, there was nothing in the manual or the box that indicated this was a necessary step; there was no CD included, so nothing there; note that this costs you credibility, Netgear folks.)

I manually connected to the printer using the Control Center, then disconnected and it showed "Available" in the Status column. Dirtydeedz comment of Nov 9, 2011, 2:23 PM above adds additional instructions not contained in the Control Center instructions: using the Windows Add A Printer. (Again, adding ad hoc instructions causes you to lose credibility.) I have not been able to find the printer using any of the standard Add A Printer features, either networked or directly connected to the computer.

My computer is a desktop connected to the router via ethernet cable. I wanted to get this working before I tried the other computers in my network. I have to note that sharing a hard drive is working fine for all computers.

What is the next step here? What additional information can I provide to help troubleshooting this?

Thanks
Chuck
Old November 15th, 2011, 03:14 PM

Ignorint is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: How to share my printer.

Forgot to specify that my OS is WinXP SP3 fully updated.