Old February 8th, 2013, 02:01 PM

aaronpriest is on a distinguished road
Default Wireless Isolation broke

I'm setting up an R6200 for a customer. They already have a firewall and router acting as a DHCP server. I've set the operation mode to AP Mode under advanced setup. We are not using the guest network yet and it is not enabled. DHCP from their firewall is giving out the IP address, DNS server, etc. to both the access point and the wireless clients. Everything works OK until I enable wireless isolation, and then the wireless clients can no longer access the Internet. If I plug a laptop into a LAN port on the back, they still can. I don't want the wireless computers to see each other or any network resources, but I do want them to access the Internet. Is this a bug in the firmware or have I got something configured wrong? I'm running the latest firmware, V1.0.0.28_1.0.24
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:24 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wireless Isolation broke

when used in AP mode all the vlan that configured was used a router mode (internet port)

AP mode still uses internet port but disable all the firewall feature that may explain why ...

All the router with AP mode does the same results
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:26 PM
NETGEAR Prophet

searay is on a distinguished road

I never had much luck using AP mode. I set a Lan IP out of DHCP range and turn off DHCP and use the LAN port.

I looked at my 6300 but the firmware must be different then the 6200 ..I only found wireless isolation under Guest.
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:00 PM

I can turn wireless isolation on or off for each 2.4GHz and 5GHz antenna for both normal and guest areas on the R6200. We aren't using guest yet.

jmizoguchi, are you saying then that it is indeed a bug when in AP mode? I've been on the phone with tech support for three hours and been bounced around to at least 8 people with no one having A CLUE what wireless isolation is even supposed to do. I read them the description from their own manual and they tell me my definition is wrong and why would I want to use it?! Very frustrating. I'm used to tier 2 partner support on their business products and their consumer tech support is crap.

From their own manual:

Enable Wireless Isolation. If this check box is selected, then computers or wireless devices that join the network can use the Internet, but cannot access each other or access Ethernet devices on the network.
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:45 PM

wireless isolation feature are meant to working under router mode but not in AP mode. it break the Vlan configuration
Old February 8th, 2013, 07:36 PM

I finally talked to a very knowledgeable lady in Tier 2 or 3 support that didn't need to keep putting me on hold for five minutes to talk to a supervisor. Basically, the router has to be the DHCP server for wireless isolation to work. When you set it to AP mode, it is no longer the DHCP server, and whatever device is before the access point would have to have isolation between addresses, which we couldn't seem to configure. Since we already have a firewall (a Netgear UTM10), we had set the R6200 to AP mode since we couldn't get out to the Internet when it was in routing mode. "Use Computer MAC Address" instead of using the R6200's MAC address got around this and let us use the access point in routing mode behind another firewall so we could enable wireless isolation for the wireless clients. Works great! Range is not as good as we were hoping for though.
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:55 AM

Because vlan used part of DHCP,router modes what makes the feature works
Old February 18th, 2013, 03:02 PM
NETGEAR User

Jim769 is on a distinguished road

I have the 6300 and when I enabled wireless isolation the internet still worked but could not access the router via routerlogin.net unless it was through either net port.