Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old August 24th, 2009, 03:12 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

kdc000 is on a distinguished road
Default Slow Wireless Speeds Using WNR3500

To Whom This May Concern:

I recently purchased two WNR3500 Wireless N Routers. I setup one router as a Base Station, and the second router as a Wireless Repeater. Both routers are configured to use the "Up to 300Mbps" wireless mode, and there are no devices attached to the wireless network.

I have one computer connected to the Base Station using an Etherent cable, and one computer connected to the Wireless Repeater using an Ethernet cable. When I transfer files between the two computers, I expected approximately 37.5 MB/second (300 Mbps) data rate; but I only get approximately 2.5 MB/second (20 Mbps).

I also noticed that on the Wireless Repeater "Router Status" page, "Link Rate" and "Signal Strength" both display "disconnected". Normally, in a Base Station/Wireless Repeater setup, this displays the connection information for the Wireless Repeater to the Base Station. Obviously, the repeater isn't disconnected, as I can browse the Internet and transfer files.

Does anyone know why the transfer rate is so slow, or what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!
Old August 24th, 2009, 04:25 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Slow Wireless Speeds Using WNR3500

when repeat, I don't think you will get 300Mbps, more like 54Mbps max
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old August 24th, 2009, 04:43 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Cadena96 is on a distinguished road

It's best not to wire anything to a repeater...
Old August 24th, 2009, 06:38 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
when repeat, I don't think you will get 300Mbps, more like 54Mbps max
Thanks for your reply!

Do you know of any documentation regarding the 54Mbps cap using the Wireless Repeating Function? If so, it is very disappointing. That was the reason I decided on this setup.

A friend of mine with a similar setup (two WNR834B routers as Base Station/Repeater), is able to get 10 MB/second transfer rates. That seems accurate, since it is nearly the throughput of a 10/100 wired connection.

Do you know why the "Link Rate" and "Signal Strength" both display "disconnected"? I've setup several WPN824 wireless networks using the Base Station/Repeater configuration, and this always displays the signal strength and speed of the repeater to the base station.

Thanks again for your help!
Old August 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc000 View Post
Thanks for your reply!

Do you know of any documentation regarding the 54Mbps cap using the Wireless Repeating Function? If so, it is very disappointing. That was the reason I decided on this setup.

A friend of mine with a similar setup (two WNR834B routers as Base Station/Repeater), is able to get 10 MB/second transfer rates. That seems accurate, since it is nearly the throughput of a 10/100 wired connection.

Do you know why the "Link Rate" and "Signal Strength" both display "disconnected"? I've setup several WPN824 wireless networks using the Base Station/Repeater configuration, and this always displays the signal strength and speed of the repeater to the base station.

Thanks again for your help!
in RED, about 80Mbps

I don't think there is certain on documentation. I just seems to read that it is repeating at 54Mbps.

once thing is that WEP are not supported on N mode anyway so that seems a valid reason why it does not support higher than 54MBps while few other now support WPA, WPA2 encryption on repeat.

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old August 24th, 2009, 07:34 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
in RED, about 80Mbps

I don't think there is certain on documentation. I just seems to read that it is repeating at 54Mbps.

once thing is that WEP are not supported on N mode anyway so that seems a valid reason why it does not support higher than 54MBps while few other now support WPA, WPA2 encryption on repeat.
Do you have any idea why I am getting transfer rates so much lower than 54Mbps (approx 20 Mbps)?

Or why my friend would be able to get approx 80Mbps with the WNR834B router, which is not as "high-end" as the WNR3500?

Distance does not seem to be a factor, as I get the same results with the routers less than one foot apart.

I also found a similar post here: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=32828
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:39 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

you are repeating for one reason...

that is.... because remote end is getting good signal. when you get lower Mbps = that you are not getting good signal for A-B point to repeat at maximum of 54MBps.

you need to experiment the locations since there is not one way to setup.. move the device around

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old August 24th, 2009, 11:19 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

WEP is often a consequence of using WDS, few WDS systems will support WPA, due in the main to a lack of standardisation and some technical issues. WEP itself will also generally limit the data rate to standard 802.11g, I am not aware of any wireless equipment that will allow 802.11n with WEP encryption. Add to that the limitations of wireless repeating that June hinted at and 20Mbps doesn’t sound so bad. By the way, operating a receiver/transmitter pair at distances of 50cm / 1 foot is not ideal; this is not the optimum distance for wireless tx/rx it can saturate amplifiers, increase noise, and make communications worse.

My name is Andy.