Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old April 16th, 2011, 09:59 AM

vigs is on a distinguished road
Question Extending WiFi Range

Hello everyone,

I am trying to extend the range of my wireless and I would appreciate your help. My ultimate goal (if supported by my hardware) is to extend the range while maintaining connectivity and roaming. For example, if I am in the process of transferring a file over the LAN through AP1 I don't want to interrupt the transfer if I move to another location and get connected to AP2).

My main router (AP1) is "Netgear DGN2000 Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem Router”, secured by WPA2-PSK encryption and covers Zone 1 via WiFi. Recently I purchased TP-Link TL-WA701N/TL-WA701ND 150M Wireless Lite N Access Point (AP2) to extend AP1 range in Zone 2. Note – I already have a network cable extended from AP1 (Zone 1) to Zone 2, to which I plugged my AP2.

At the moment, my current setup is that both AP1 (zone 1) and AP2 (running in Access Point mode) (zone2) have the same SSID/Encryption, however this way file transfers while moving through zones are getting disrupted.

My alternative options (which I tried, but didn't manage to configure) are to set AP2 operation mode to either "Repeater”, "Universal Repeater” or "Bridge with AP”. However, does any of these modes supports uninterrupted transfer capability while roaming in different zone? Which, one is the ideal one to use in my case (having said that I already have a wired cable extended from zone 1 to zone 2)?

Thanks.