Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old July 4th, 2011, 04:18 PM

IvanOz is on a distinguished road
Default Mac OS X Connecting to the readyshare HDD Solution

My new modem/router is serving a Mac OS X network. I have attached a Lacie USB HDD to the product and the drive was visible in the Basic Settings and Advanced Setting pages of the Netgear Router Manager browser interface. The drive was also accessible via the ReadyDLNA interface wirelessly on my Sony TV.

My problem was that the HDD would not appear on my network on my iMac. So I could access the drive to add, remove or review content via my computer.

Instructions provided with the product (ReadyShare Access Code 203-10694-01) only give direction for access on Windows systems and do not mention Mac OS X systems.

A prompt reply from Netgear Support gave me these directions:
In response to your concern, you cannot detect your HDD on your iMac because it uses a different protocol that your Mac computer does not recognize. In order to rectify this issue, you need to connect to Windows File Sharing (SMB). Please refer to the instructions provided below:

1. On your Mac computer, click on Go.
2. Click on Connect to Server.
3. You can connect to a server via its IP address or DNS name. Please type in:

smb://readyshare or smb://(IP address of the HDD)

4. Click on Connect.

After doing the instructions provided above, please check if you will be able to detect your HDD on your iMac computer.
Initially this did not work because of one missing link:

First, go to Sharing in System Preferences. Check that File Sharing is selected. Click on the options button (lower right hand corner). Click on "Share files and folders using SMB". Provide your admin password. Close System Preferences.

Now go back and follow the instructions provided by Netgear support and you should have access to your shared HDD.

Hope this helps another Mac user!
Old July 17th, 2011, 01:51 PM

saavedr3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mac OS X Connecting to the readyshare HDD Solution

Thanks for the post. I am having problem connecting my LACIE 1TB Drive. I am able to detect that my drive is connected but I can not mount it. I tried your method but when I connect I am asked to log in. I havent setup a login for this drive because when I go to my router settings it wont let me. I get the message "No Disk". Any idea what to use for a log in.
Old July 17th, 2011, 03:20 PM

Hi

If you're referring to the window that appears:

"Enter your user name and password to access the file server "readyshare"."

Enter your mac admin name and password the same you'd use if you want to make administrative changes to your system.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers.
Old July 17th, 2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanOz View Post
Hi

If you're referring to the window that appears:

"Enter your user name and password to access the file server "readyshare"."

Enter your mac admin name and password the same you'd use if you want to make administrative changes to your system.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers.
Thanks for the reply. When I go to Finder>Go>Connect To Server I type smb://ReadyShare then i log in windows pops up asking me to log in as Guest or Register User. I have never set up a login for the ReadyShare device. I try using my system login and the router login and neither worked. I get a "Error Code -43" message.

When I try to create a login in the router settings under USB Storage>Advance Settings>Available Network Folders it wont let me edit anything. Its says "No Disk. Any idea what could be happening.

I read somewhere that this Router has issues recognizing Lacie drives but my computer detects something plugin but cant mount it. Thanks again.
Old July 18th, 2011, 06:41 PM

Arrow Re: Mac OS X Connecting to the readyshare HDD Solution

When I go to Finder>Go>Connect To Server I type smb://ReadyShare then i log in windows pops up asking me to log in as Guest or Register User.

This is where I type my Mac admin name and password as the registered user.

I have never set up a login for the ReadyShare device

Neither have I.

I get a "Error Code -43" message.

Have a look at this < http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2039 > to determine if it might have some bearing on your problem. I don't get an error message so it's hard for me to comment on this.

When I try to create a login in the router settings under USB Storage>Advance Settings>Available Network Folders it wont let me edit anything. Its says "No Disk. Any idea what could be happening.

Can't really comment here because my disk has always appeared in this window, and I have been able to fully edit the details. Sorry.

I read somewhere that this Router has issues recognizing Lacie drives but my computer detects something plugin but cant mount it. Thanks again.

The disk I have connected is a Lacie USB 1.5Tb. I have just tried it with a Lacie 2Big 2Tb and that works too.

The things I would consider would be...have you reformatted the drive in an incompatible format? Mine are formatted in Mac OS Extended Journalled.

Does your drive name or network path contain any "forbidden" characters as per the -43 Error mentioned above? I'd probably rename the volume something very simple to check this possibility.

Have you enabled the Media Server in the Router settings?

In the USB Storage Advanced Settings have you:

Network/Device Name: readyshare
Workgroup: Workgroup

Enable Network Connection
Enable HTTP
Leave the rest closed.

In the Available Network Folders:

Shared Name Read Access Write Access Folder Name Volume Name Total Space Free Space

Not Shared All - no password All - no password U:\
\\readyshare\Volume name All - no password All - no password U:\

LACIE MEDIA 1525088MB 1481050MB

Don't know if any of this will help. Hope it does.

Cheers.
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:01 AM

Talking Re: Mac OS X Connecting to the readyshare HDD Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanOz View Post
When I go to Finder>Go>Connect To Server I type smb://ReadyShare then i log in windows pops up asking me to log in as Guest or Register User.

This is where I type my Mac admin name and password as the registered user.

I have never set up a login for the ReadyShare device

Neither have I.

I get a "Error Code -43" message.

Have a look at this < http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2039 > to determine if it might have some bearing on your problem. I don't get an error message so it's hard for me to comment on this.

Can't really comment here because my disk has always appeared in this window, and I have been able to fully edit the details. Sorry.

The disk I have connected is a Lacie USB 1.5Tb. I have just tried it with a Lacie 2Big 2Tb and that works too.

The things I would consider would be...have you reformatted the drive in an incompatible format? Mine are formatted in Mac OS Extended Journalled.

Does your drive name or network path contain any "forbidden" characters as per the -43 Error mentioned above? I'd probably rename the volume something very simple to check this possibility.

Have you enabled the Media Server in the Router settings?

In the USB Storage Advanced Settings have you:

Network/Device Name: readyshare
Workgroup: Workgroup

Enable Network Connection
Enable HTTP
Leave the rest closed.

In the Available Network Folders:

Shared Name Read Access Write Access Folder Name Volume Name Total Space Free Space

Not Shared All - no password All - no password U:\
\\readyshare\Volume name All - no password All - no password U:\

LACIE MEDIA 1525088MB 1481050MB

Don't know if any of this will help. Hope it does.

Cheers.
Thanks for the help I was able to get it to work, greatly appreciate it. :-)