Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11ac Routers > R7000 - AC1900 Nighthawk

Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:57 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Lexist2112 is on a distinguished road
Default XBOX 1 and 5ghz!!!!!

I went to Best Buy for the midnight release of the XBOX1. Despite the 1st week controversy of DRM and games, I still preordered the day1 edition back in June. Within the week MS backed off the DRM as we all know and it is for the most part business as usual.
Best buy had all the preordered customers pay for there units and purchase other xbox stuff in advance prior to 12:00AM. We were all given numbers at the time of purchase and the xbox units were then encoded to our receipts and order tag placed directly ontu our units. The day 1 edition came in a NICE black box versus the standard edition which came in a green box.
Very organized, and at midnight we all picked up our xboxes and I was out of there at 12:15.

Came home and connected the "1", fired her up and the xbox splash screen came up, took about a min or 2 before it went into config mode, and started asking for internet connection. Your chooses were wired or wireless. My case it was wireless, and asked for the ssid I tried the 5ghz..no dice, tried the 2.4 SSID and it took it as DHCP, despite my entire network is setup as static ip addressing. Well, I was wirelessly connected to the 2.4 SSID and the next step of course was to download a 320MB software update, took about 10mins, and the unit installed the update. From there I was prompted to setup the NEW Kinect 2.0. Now despite all the privacy concerns, honestly this is a very cool feature. Camera detects you and runs thru a series of sound tests to all speakers, in my case 5.1. Once done, Kinect sensor is now ... connected to you and your voice only....NICE. I went directly into the tiles and played a Blu-Ray nice...fast and great load times. By this time it was 1:30AM and I had enough had been up since 6:30AM

This morning fired up the "1" and proceeded to find the settings for more configurations, and was determined to see if I could connect to the 5ghz. The menu button was located directly on the controller brought up the familiar "window" and gave me all the options, and was able to change my in game avatar and of course finally, NETWORK SETTINGS.

From there I configured the wireless and was able to see ALL available network wifi. Yes I could see my 2.4 & 5 ghz SSID. I proceeded to MANUALLY configure for static IP and input all of my network data, and selected 5ghz SSID, it went thru a test and wala.....I was connected to the internet and OPEN NAT!!!!!

So where it stands, the "1" wifi, from what i have read, supports AC, although I cannot tell you if I'm "N" or "AC (5ghz)". I will have to get back to you all. For now the "1" works on both 2.4 and 5ghz RELIABLY, on the 1.0.2 FW.

BTW there is a teardown of the unit on iFixit and I can tell you MS went to great lengths to make sure there was plenty of cooling for the hardware. There is a massive fan located in the unit and it is pulling air in and out, just like my PC. There is absolutely NO loud fan noise or Blu-Ray drive noise, the unit is VERY quite.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:00 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: XBOX 1 and 5ghz!!!!!

Quote:
So where it stands, the "1" wifi, from what i have read, supports AC, although I cannot tell you if I'm "N" or "AC (5ghz)". I will have to get back to you all. For now the "1" works on both 2.4 and 5ghz RELIABLY, on the 1.0.2 FW.
802.11AC is ONLY on 5Ghz.

So if you have setup 5Ghz to connect Xbox One, you can achieve up to 802.11AC speed.

2.4ghz will not go any higher than 450Mbps for that matter
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old November 23rd, 2013, 03:59 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Bigcid10 is on a distinguished road

5GHx will also do "N" as well as "AC"
that's why he was unsure
32gb ram corsir vengance 2133 4X8GB
Coolermaster silent pro1000 PS
PowerColor PCS+ R9 290 4GB GDDR5
Asus M299Q 29" ips ultrawide
2 Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB ssd Raid0 for OS
corsair 800D
Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Logitech Z-5500
Windows 8 x64 mce
netgear r7000
V1.0.3.61_20140605_QA

Last edited by Mars Mug; December 1st, 2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 05:36 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Well been AC is higher so that makes N automatically supported to begin with if connected correct SSID for the right band
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:14 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

phreebsd is on a distinguished road

according to the specs,

Built-in (A/B/G/N dual-band at 2.4ghz and 5ghz)
no ac. just dual band N
Old November 24th, 2013, 11:37 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcid10 View Post
5GHx will also do "N" as well as "AC"
that's why he was unsure
Exactly!!!!! Taken from the Netgear site.

IEEE® 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz + 256 QAM support
IEEE® 802.11 a/n/ac 5.0GHz

When your in the Netgear GUI, under the Advance tab>Advance wireless, there are no options to select for either "N" or "AC". For now with the previous and current FW, by default when we enable 5ghz, it is set to handle both N & AC. That further tells me that 20/40/80 is enabled by default.

Xbox 1 currently does not tell any more info in regards to the wireless mode (N or AC). I like to add the "1" is a great piece of hardware and works amazing. Finally a HTPC, all-in-one option has arrived and works well. With future updates DLNA and other networking should work well, making this unit very versatile.

Netgear has given me access to a BETA FW, and will be testing it out. Hopefully with testing several client hardware to the R7000 we will be able to reduce the number of bugs and push this hardware to perform even better.
Old November 30th, 2013, 06:38 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

UPDATE:

So I tried to play BF 4 last nite and could not connect to the cloud, even though I have had port forwarding rules applied in the R7000. I knew there where 3 more port forwarding rules, that existed for the X1 and didn't use them until last nite since I was able to play multiplay.

Here are the 3 additional ports that are needed for the X1
500 (UDP)
3544 (UDP)
4500 (UDP)
It appears these 3 ports allow you to sync to the cloud with your data so your able to play online.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 07:01 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

pablotn is on a distinguished road

Sorry if I missed this earlier:

>>even though I have had port forwarding rules applied in the R7000<<

Can you list all of your port forwarding rules you had to configure on the R7000 for the XB1 to connect outbound?

Thanks,

Paul
Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:40 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Here are my current port forwarding rules for the X1:

Xbox Live requires the following ports to be open:

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)

Here are the 3 additional ports that are needed for the X1

Port 500 (UDP)
Port 3544 (UDP)
Port 4500 (UDP)

Although I cannot confirm, I think the 3 additional ports may somehow be connected to the Xbox live CLOUD

Last edited by Mars Mug; December 2nd, 2013 at 10:59 PM.