Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:41 PM

macaw is on a distinguished road
Angry Router keeps shutting off on it's own

My Netgear router keeps shutting off and restarting. I can only get a few minutes of internet before it shuts off (only seconds if I try to watch a youtube video). It's then unresponsive for a minute or two, and eventually it turns back on on it's own. It does get hot sometimes but even when it put it on lunch coolers and it is cool (not cold) to the touch it shuts off. I've tried using multiple power outlets and it is always the same.

I have a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router (WNDR3400). Please try to keep answers simple, I do not know much about this stuff, I just want f'ing internet connection.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:05 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Router keeps shutting off on it's own

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaw View Post
My Netgear router keeps shutting off and restarting. I can only get a few minutes of internet before it shuts off (only seconds if I try to watch a youtube video). It's then unresponsive for a minute or two, and eventually it turns back on on it's own.
Let's leave out the bit about the router getting hot for now.

You'd see that I've highlighted 2 parts of your post in red. It's unclear what you mean. Do you mean that the router actually powers down and powers up again? I.e. all the LED lights go out on the front of the router and then come back on? I'm asking because it's possible if your YouTube video freezes then resumes after some seconds or minutes, it can be caused by "buffering". Buffering can be caused by several things, e.g.:
1. Having a slow internet package from your internet service provider,
2. If your computer's connection is wireless/wifi, you may be on a crowded wireless channel,
3. You may have a weak signal due to distance, etc., from the router.
Mind you, the router could actually be failing, but you should ensure the issue isn't caused by something else.

Assuming it's wifi that you're using, start by getting your computer closer to the router and in a direct line-of-sight. Observe the signal on your computer to ensure that you are getting as good a signal as possible, to eliminate 3 above.

Next, try changing the channel to one that is less crowded. You could download inSSIDer, which is a free tool that will help you see which channel is the least crowded. Choose only channels 1,6 or 11 in the North America, or 1, 7 or 13 in Europe and some parts of the world. That's point 2.

For point 1, only you can answer that.
Old March 4th, 2014, 09:25 PM

kigango123 is on a distinguished road

I would say that you might need a new router, I had a similar problem with my N600 where the wifi would keep going on and off. Nothing i found worked to stop the problem. i found that the N600 router has this problem and it might go away once you disable WMM on your router but that did not work for me. Eventually the thing stop functioning even as a switch and when i switched to an older router, there was no problems suggesting the router was going bad.
Old March 5th, 2014, 04:35 AM
NETGEAR Prophet

searay is on a distinguished road

Check power supply for correct voltage if ok replace router.
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:03 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

wcalifas831 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by searay View Post
Check power supply for correct voltage if ok replace router.
I second that advice. Could be the power adapter that is toast. Try a different one of the same voltage. Let us know if that was the issue or if the router does the same thing still.
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:45 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

If you are using power strip with this router remove it and use straight to the wall out let for testing purpose.

If continue have an issues with router shutting off I would return the unit
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old March 5th, 2014, 01:31 PM
NETGEAR Expert

minions08 is on a distinguished road

Take the advise of Searay. Always check the required power supply specially the input and output voltage.