Old January 8th, 2011, 05:38 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Fotoav8r is on a distinguished road
Default Necessary to use Netgear's Software to Connect PC?

I've been unable to connect my Neo to the media on my pc for the last few days. Not sure what I did, but I don't think I was using the Netgear software that came on the disc provided. The Neo keeps saying "unable to access folder". I'm wondering if there's other server software that might work better. I've tried every bit of troubleshooting I can think of, but no matter what I try I can't connect.

I'm simply connected to an external drive to my pc by an ethernet cable. My ps3 is connected the same way, and is fine.
Old January 8th, 2011, 06:20 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: Necessary to use Netgear's Software to Connect PC?

When using the Netgear software, everything seems fine until after the configuration step. At that point it trys to connect and then says "Unable to detect any Neo TV devices on the network".
Old January 9th, 2011, 01:22 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

RDC is on a distinguished road

The best way is not to use any software as intermediary to get to your files. Just use the capabilities of your OS to share a folder on the network. This can be done as an SMB or NFS share.

The Netgear software might help in some cases, but it clearly doesn't help you. I never used it and it is not necessary to use.

Please supply us with more detail about your OS and configuration if you want some help on sharing your media across your network. What firmware version are you using at the moment for the NeoTV?

You imply that you were able to connect to your PC earlier on. Check if you did any updates or changes and see if that might be a problem. Keep in mind that there has been problems reported with Windows Live Messenger (or something like that, I don't use it) that prevents the NeoTV to connect to shares.
Old January 9th, 2011, 03:27 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

StephenB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC View Post
The best way is not to use any software as intermediary to get to your files. Just use the capabilities of your OS to share a folder on the network. This can be done as an SMB or NFS share.

The Netgear software might help in some cases, but it clearly doesn't help you. I never used it and it is not necessary to use.

Please supply us with more detail about your OS and configuration if you want some help on sharing your media across your network. What firmware version are you using at the moment for the NeoTV?

You imply that you were able to connect to your PC earlier on. Check if you did any updates or changes and see if that might be a problem. Keep in mind that there has been problems reported with Windows Live Messenger (or something like that, I don't use it) that prevents the NeoTV to connect to shares.
Win7 Windows Live Essentials was the blocking application, this problem was fixed in the .268 firmware.

I don't use the Netgear software either, it is not necessary. Note that your windows firewall can block filesharing, so do try a test with your firewall disabled.
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:26 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I don't use any MS Live programs, and I've been racking my brain trying to remember what I might have done to change things, but can't think on anything. I tried going up to the .275 firmware, but went back to .68. I'm using a WD external hard drive attached to my pc running windows7 64. When I get back home I'll try and disable windows firewall; maybe that will help.

In the meantime, I have the external hard drive connected to the back USB of the Neo and it works perfectly. The only problem is I am continuing to add movies to it, so i have to disconnect and bring it back to the pc whenever I do that. I'm using a Netgear 3700/AV router, so I have the same question posed over there. I'm not a very experienced network guy, so I might be doing something wrong in the basics. I've made sure that the drive and folders are shared, so I'm baffled at why the Neo can't find a simple external drive on the network.