Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old July 27th, 2011, 05:12 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

nag947 is on a distinguished road
Default Connect a wireless router to another wireless router USING WIRELESS

Is this even possible?
Im in a situation where i have multiple devices that need to access my network but they are on the other end of the house away from my current DGND3700.

Therefore i need a device to connect them too that can talk to my DGND3700 via wireless on the other side of the house. I was thinking of buying one of net gears wrvxxx... series routers but i want to know if i can set it up to connect to my DGND3700 via wireless before i go and spend the money and possibly find out it doesn't work!
Old July 27th, 2011, 05:36 AM
NETGEAR Addict

searay is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Connect a wireless router to another wireless router USING WIRELESS

Wireless repeats should be a last resort in my opinon. They tend to be slow and you're limited to which security you can use. Some people use them I wouldn't. As long as you understand the limitations before you set one up then you will not be let down.
Old July 27th, 2011, 07:42 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Look at wn2000rpt or wn3000rpt extender
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old July 27th, 2011, 04:04 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

blanka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
Look at wn2000rpt or wn3000rpt extender
These netgear access points / extenders are a waste of time .... what is the point buying another expensive netgear product when top end netgear routers like DGND 3300v2 only support WEP security on the G wireless std. You are paying netgear for product that they cannot deliver upon? I am using the latest firmware and I am stuck on this issue I cannot see any way around this.

The original question was about trying to connect two routers wirelessly to one another like point to point bridge kind of thing. These extenders can offer the best security and the best wireless experience but what is the point if the routers themselves do not support these features in the context that the poster requires from his netgear products.

nag947, I would think twice before buying anything else mate!!! For proof just go into web the console of your router, the web admin interface. Access the repeating or wireless repeating section of your router. Try clicking on a few things and see what happens! You will quickly see what I am talking about. I bought a cheap and cheerful access point so I didn't burn a hole in my pocket. The AP itself is telling me not to use WEP security and my Netgear base station is telling I can only use WEP. Mate do your homework first!

Old July 27th, 2011, 07:47 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
These netgear access points / extenders are a waste of time .... what is the point buying another expensive netgear product when top end netgear routers like DGND 3300v2 only support WEP security on the G wireless std.
if you REPEAT you do need to use WEP.

if you use WN2000RPT, YOU DO NOT! you connect to existing network without repeating as extender

Quote:
The original question was about trying to connect two routers wirelessly to one another like point to point bridge kind of thing. These extenders can offer the best security and the best wireless experience but what is the point if the routers themselves do not support these features in the context that the poster requires from his netgear products.
by standards "MANY" manufacture does the same thing using WEP for repeating.
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old July 27th, 2011, 10:27 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Blanka, not all repeaters/extenders need to use WDS, and so don’t need the ‘base router’ to use WDS/WEP. In fact the ‘base router’ is unaware that data is being repeated and treats the repeater just like any other wireless client. Some repeaters/extenders also use two radio devices so they can even re-transmit on a different non-overlapping 2.4GHz channel which means no significant loss of throughput.

June recommended those range extenders specifically for those reasons.

This manual might clear up a few points;

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WN..._UM_8Dec10.pdf

My name is Andy.

Last edited by Mars Mug; July 27th, 2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old July 28th, 2011, 01:52 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

blanka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
Blanka, not all repeaters/extenders need to use WDS, and so don’t need the ‘base router’ to use WDS/WEP. In fact the ‘base router’ is unaware that data is being repeated and treats the repeater just like any other wireless client. Some repeaters/extenders also use two radio devices so they can even re-transmit on a different non-overlapping 2.4GHz channel which means no significant loss of throughput.

June recommended those range extenders specifically for those reasons.

This manual might clear up a few points;

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WN..._UM_8Dec10.pdf
That does clear things up actually thank you.

Ibrar
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:03 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

My cousin has the WNR2000rpt and it is too under performing for what i need it for.

I currently use a pretty decent wireless pci card on my computer but I'm thinkining of getting a has so i want my has and pc to talk together using a gigabit connection. This is why I ask if a router like the WNDR3400 can act just like the WNR2000rpt as i noticed on my DGND3700 web page that there is an option to put the dgnd3700 into a wireless base station mode and then connect other devices to it to boost the signal (well at least thats what it appears to do, havnt tested as i don't have a second net gear router to try). I want to know if anyone has tested connecting one of these routers to the dgnd3700 (or a similar net gear) and then having another net gear wireless router acting as a bridge...

i hope i make sense lol
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:58 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

A universal repeater/extender will not require the ‘base’ router to be configured in any particular way, the extender connects to the router in the same way as any other wireless client device and so the ‘base’ router treats the repeater in the same way as any other client device. Many Netgear routers that provide some kind of repeating / base station mode will use WDS, which in turn will use WEP, which in turn will drop throughput to 802.11g (54Mbps) levels, and then repeating halves that. The WNR2000rpt should not require the DGND3700 to be configured for repeating.

Poor performance from range extenders is often because they are placed at a poor reception point in relation to the router. The repeater needs a fairly good signal otherwise throughput will take a hammering.

My name is Andy.
Old July 29th, 2011, 03:16 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

wow you sound like you know your stuff, i guess ill have to wait for link sys to update there wet610n ( http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/...?lid=LearnMore )

thanks any way guys