Old March 13th, 2010, 09:23 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

kesrith is on a distinguished road
Default WNR2000v2 Wired ports not working

Hi, I just bought this router today and the first thing I did was connect it to a computer so I could configure it. The problem was that, no matter what port I tried to connect to the corresponding light on the front did not light up and my computer kept reporting "network cable is unplugged".

I attempted to call Netgear directly but was unable to reach anyone. I tried their "ask a question", but all it did as give me a round robin, first asking me to login in, then asking where I wanted to go, only to be returned to the login screen.

I also see several reports that this router drops connectivity. That is what's happening with my WPNT834 and I purchased the WNR2000 on the assumption the 834 was failing. Maybe this isn't the right choice either.

I hope someone here can be of help, Netgear obviously isn't.

-Kesrith
Old March 14th, 2010, 05:51 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNR2000v2 Wired ports not working

Can we assume that you somehow know for a fact that the ethernet port on your computer is enabled and functional? Have you tried a "known good" ethernet cable?

If so, you have a defective router and it will need to be replaced. If it were me I would box it back up and return it to the place of purchase.
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:10 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesrith View Post
Hi, I just bought this router today and the first thing I did was connect it to a computer so I could configure it. The problem was that, no matter what port I tried to connect to the corresponding light on the front did not light up and my computer kept reporting "network cable is unplugged".

I attempted to call Netgear directly but was unable to reach anyone. I tried their "ask a question", but all it did as give me a round robin, first asking me to login in, then asking where I wanted to go, only to be returned to the login screen.

I also see several reports that this router drops connectivity. That is what's happening with my WPNT834 and I purchased the WNR2000 on the assumption the 834 was failing. Maybe this isn't the right choice either.

I hope someone here can be of help, Netgear obviously isn't.

-Kesrith
type of PC and specify exact model of the ethernet adapter model.
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:37 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

kesrith is on a distinguished road

Well, now I'm throughly confused. The next day I plugged it all back in and this time it connected!

Anyway, to answer your question:
PC: Lenovo T400
Ethernet adapter: Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection
Cable: the Yellow cable supplied with the Router

I've been managing my home network for over 10 years and this is my third router, my first one was a Linksys that predated WPA encryption. My T400 is normally connected wirelessly, but from time to time I do go wired and I've never had a problem before. I used Network Connections to manage my connections. I normally have my ethernet port disabled. In this case I plugged everyting in and enabled the port and was getting network cable unplugged message. I did Repair several times, and even swapped out the cable, but it just would not connect.

The next day I tried it again, and it worked with the original cable! It makes no sense to me.

-Kesrith
Old March 19th, 2010, 05:46 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

might get extra cable just in case for next failure