Old October 13th, 2011, 08:16 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jarome is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR4000 keeps losing connectivity

It is still doing this. It is not the routers along the path dropping the connection. It is the WNDR4000. The drop occurs at the first hop. As soon as I replace the 4000 by the 3700, the issues all go away. And this is with the latest firmware.
Old December 20th, 2011, 05:09 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

drmark12pa is on a distinguished road

I've had the exact same issue. I can be on AOL (yes, AOL) and my connection drops and picks right back up again. It will drop for about 5 seconds and then comes right back. I also have noticed some fluctuations in the speed varying anywhere from 300 down to 11 and that is sitting in one spot about 30 feet from the router located behind a door.
I had been using the .77 software from one of Netgear's techs to correct for dropping of the GUEST networks but am now trying the .82 software without any improvement.....
Junk....
Old December 20th, 2011, 06:49 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Well I have been tracerouting every 2.5 seconds to the Comcast dns server (75.75.75.75) for about 40 hours now and generally it has been working with the .73 firmware and putting in static DNS addresses. The only drops are probably due to Comcast.

I do suggest that you get PingPlotter (www.pingplotter.com) if you have Windows to really see where the problem is. It is free for 30 days.
Old December 20th, 2011, 06:53 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarome View Post
Well I have been tracerouting every 2.5 seconds to the Comcast dns server (75.75.75.75) for about 40 hours now and generally it has been working with the .73 firmware and putting in static DNS addresses. The only drops are probably due to Comcast.

I do suggest that you get PingPlotter (www.pingplotter.com) if you have Windows to really see where the problem is. It is free for 30 days.
Well actually this comment is for the WNDR4500, which acts the same way as the WNDR4000. I think I figured out what the problem is. See http://jamesrome.net/drupal/node/10 for the explanation.