Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:18 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to renew IP address?

I say leave it alone..
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:26 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
I say leave it alone..
Then a solution to these two issues will need to be found
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmouli View Post
Two reasons I change IP addresses actually:
I need to change my IP sometimes as my VPN will not connect otherwise.
Second, email I send out sometimes bounces because it is identified as a spam address. Curiously, when I change my IP address, it will go through even though I send from the same email account.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:51 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

I know that... VPN don't make any sense ( not clear on exact issue)

email on issue... check here>http://www.spamhaus.org/

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:19 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

pcmouli is on a distinguished road

I almost had an "A-Ha" (a la Car Talk style) moment there.
I tried changing the MAC address on the WGR614, and yes, it did assign itself a new IP address, but only after I power cycled the router and the cable modem. You guys do know your stuff - I am very impressed!

While this is a genuine workaround, isn't the purpose of the Release and Renew functions so that I wouldnt have to move my butt across the house, reach into all kinds of crevices and power cycle the router and cable modem?

The VPN does vex me - my company's IT guys were baffled too and had the standard - "well if it works by changing your IP, then...".
As for the email, it is not a spamhaus message that I get when my email is rejected, just a no-explanation message from the recipient's domain that my email was rejected as spam.

As an aside, the older MR814 automatically refreshes the popup page and executes a "Renew" about 10 seconds after I click the "Release" button. The WGR614 just sits on the page doing nothing.

As a last request do any of you know how I can peek into the implementation of the Release and Renew commands on the router's software? I am quite curious to compare the two implementations.
Many thanks for your help!
Old June 24th, 2007, 02:20 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

The router works with the modem to make a release / renew request, that’s why you have to power cycle them both when you make a change to the MAC address, I suspect that when you use the ‘Release’ option the modem may stop talking to the router.

It is a request, the ISP equipment decides whether or not to issue a different IP address, and as far as I know that will typically be based on the MAC address of the request source. So I have no explanation as to why the MR814 is always given a new IP, I’m not that smart, I know nothing of the release renew implementation. If you were really keen you could put a hub or switch between the modem and router and use some network analysis software to monitor the traffic for that short time.

You are pressing ‘Release’ then ‘Renew’? What happens if you just press ‘Renew’?

It’s a pity the router doesn’t have a soft reset button in it’s configuration pages.

As June is suggesting, it may be easier and more worthwhile to get to the bottom of the VPN and e-mail issue, but the e-mail one could be difficult to diagnose/solve.
Old June 24th, 2007, 07:14 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
As June is suggesting, it may be easier and more worthwhile to get to the bottom of the VPN and e-mail issue, but the e-mail one could be difficult to diagnose/solve.
I agree with "MarsMug" on why MR router can renew and other can't. I think release and renew on mine FVS114 or FVS318 behave same under Cable Services. it will bring up same IP 99%. Some time release will bring 0.0.0.0 and have to power cycle the modem or keep hitting renew and still bring up same IP.

1. You need to detail on what VPN client are using. What is the reason of changing the IP. Most of VPN is IPsec base so yes IP do matter but if you are using VPN client, then that should not matter in general. VPN issue may be at your main office equipment how its been setup. I think this needs to be look at it without discussing IP renew thing.

2. Email are pain to work with. When you say it marks as spam on whoever you are sending.. Is this only specific e-mail? Have you consult with them to see if you are on their spam list? I'm not the guru on spam section but Spamhaus.org is one of place you will able to check if on list or their mail server may has something to do with it.

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy