Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:10 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

kismert is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Firmware Uploading Failed

I'm having the same problems that senna88 is having with the new 4.22.13 update. Says "Upgrading" for over an hour. Tried three different ways so far, same results.

I will follow mosaix' steps to try to resolve the problem.

Questions:
  • How long does a successful firmware upgrade take?
  • Which startup sequence is right for the SC101 on a network with a router: the one in Troubleshooting, or the one in the Manual?

Thanks,
-Ken
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

bobk is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I also am experiencing a failure upgrading to firmware 4.22.13 with Utility 2.0.23.

Have a 250 GB hard drive partitioned to 3 equal drives with 8.7 GB of free space. Tried updated the firmware manually but received a failure notice. After the failure all my attached drives are gone with only my free space showing.

The status shows that the firmware was updated even though a failure was reported at the time of installation. The utility still shows the old version of 1.5.7.

Any help on how to recover my lost attached drives is appreciated.

bobk
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

bobk,

Nothing is working for me too!

I managed to get my drives back by doing a Windows System Restore. I thought I had lost data ... but I'm OK.

Here's the saga:
  • I tried all of mosaix' tips: turn of firewall and proxy, downgrade SCM version, reboot ... nothing.
  • Restarted my whole system (5 or 6 times) using both startup sequences (see my earlier post) ... all for naught.
  • Tried the SCM automatic and manual installs multiple times ... nada.
  • Tried UT command-line utility (to both partition ports) many, many times. In all cases, ut listall worked. I could ping both root addresses, but still ... zip
  • Repeated with all versions of SCM I could get my hands on ... 1.5.5, 1.5.7, 2.0.23, repeated startup under each ... goose eggs.
  • Tried quick reset, 8-second reset, 30-second reset ... nil.
In short, either I am a moron, or my Toaster JUST WON'T UPGRADE to 4.22.13. Period.

Am I missing something? What is this 'web update' people mention -- I sure can't find that in Netgear's site...
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:19 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Cyno is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Firmware Uploading Failed

I had the same problem and I tried the online support, what a joke, the clown that tried to respond after a thorough description of my errors, could barely put a sentence together in english and obviously didn't read the history, very incompetent staff member, probably outsourced.....

I was on SCM 1.5.5/firmware 4.19.0 and tried to go to SCM 2.0.23/firmware 4.22.13 using the installer, which automatically uninstalled the current SCM, rebooted, installed the new SCM, and tried to update the firmware, but failed with exactly the same message, "Firmware update failed". I followed the instructions on "http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d103073.asp" to the letter, every way possible. Also I turned off my XP firewall and virus software and repeated everything, no change, but I did leave it off until I finally fixed this problem.

Then I tried the UT.exe from the SCM 1.5.5 exactly as posted here by the moderator, no luck, it tried and retried, but ended with a write error, and a server disconnect error.

Finally, I decided to re-attach a drive(they were unmounted during the uninstall) and upload the firmware using UT.exe to the IP of an installed drive INSTEAD of the root IP as described above and that worked. You have to let is run for about 2 minutes though, and patience is a requirement. I'd guess that if you didn't wait and just ended the command window or reboot the SC101 during the update, you'd turn it into a brick. At any rate, after verifying the firmware was 4.22.13, I upgraded the SCM to 2.0.23 and everything works. Not only does it work, but it runs a lot faster looking up files and folders on heavily populated directories. I'm hoping that this update adds stability, as I've had my share of blue-screens with this product. Note: the Windows service name changes from Zetera to Z-SANService, and the installation directory changes from "C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\SC101 Manager Utility" to "C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\NETGEAR Storage Central Manager Utility".

Hope my hours of frustration and effort help someone else out there.
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:22 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Cyno is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Firmware Uploading Failed

I had the same problem and I tried the online support, what a joke, the clown that tried to respond after a thorough description of my errors, could barely put a sentence together in english and obviously didn't read the history, very incompetent staff member, probably outsourced.....

I was on SCM 1.5.5/firmware 4.19.0 and tried to go to SCM 2.0.23/firmware 4.22.13 using the installer, which automatically uninstalled the current SCM, rebooted, installed the new SCM, and tried to update the firmware, but failed with exactly the same message, "Firmware update failed". I followed the instructions on "http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d103073.asp" to the letter, every way possible. Also I turned off my XP firewall and virus software and repeated everything, no change, but I did leave it off until I finally fixed this problem.

Then I tried the UT.exe from the SCM 1.5.5 exactly as posted here by the moderator, no luck, it tried and retried, but ended with a write error, and a server disconnect error.

Finally, I decided to re-attach a drive(they were unmounted during the uninstall) and upload the firmware using UT.exe to the IP of an installed drive INSTEAD of the root IP as described above and that worked. You have to let is run for about 2 minutes though, and patience is a requirement. I'd guess that if you didn't wait and just ended the command window or reboot the SC101 during the update, you'd turn it into a brick. At any rate, after verifying the firmware was 4.22.13, I upgraded the SCM to 2.0.23 and everything works. Not only does it work, but it runs a lot faster looking up files and folders on heavily populated directories. I'm hoping that these updates add stability, as I've had my share of blue-screens with this product.

Note: the Windows service name changes from Zetera to Z-SANService, and the installation directory changes from "C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\SC101 Manager Utility" to "C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\NETGEAR Storage Central Manager Utility".

Hope my hours of frustration and effort help someone else out there.
Old March 25th, 2007, 05:08 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Cyno,

Thanks for your feedback. Your information about the time it takes to upgrade the firmware is especially valuable. Also helpful was the description of what the new service was called.

Glad you got it working ...

-Ken
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

joe007 is on a distinguished road

I tried this and I am still unable to update to 4.22.13. I have only tried the SCM tool to up date the firmware from both the automatic and advance. how do you update the firmware from a browser?

Why is this so hard?

BTW tried three Coolmax CN-570 Stay away! Bad tech support and bad RMA process and BAD product.

joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosaix View Post
I too had a lot of problems when trying to update the firmware to Version 4.22.13. The errors were varied:

1) Could not close connection
2) Firmware Update faile
3) Bad HTTP Request 12xxxx

I tried updating via the web, the SCM and the UT utility: they all failed.

After a full review of the forum:

1) Removed current SCM installation
2) Installed SCM Version 1.5.6
3) Disabled my firewall on my PC
4) Removed the use of a proxy server
5) Reboot both PC and SC101
6) Used SCM to access 'advance configuration', manually selected new firmware file and........TA DA - it worked.

7) Then removed SCM from PC and installed version 2.0.23

No problems from then onwards.