Old July 15th, 2007, 08:43 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

ajtdotorg is on a distinguished road
Default Change Default IP On WGR614 Router

I am having some difficulty getting my wireless going in my new apartment, and I am thinking it has something to do with being in a big apartment building here in the city, and IPs and signals or something crossing over.

I had it working fine at my last place, and when I moved, changing no settings (just re-connecting everything), it all went haywire and only partially works.

The router is the WGR614, and it is currently connected as it should be I have my desktop hardwired from the router and it works fine, as does my laptop and my Tivo, and the network even shows in my available networks. However, when I try to connect to the network, it stalls out on the "waiting for network to be ready" step, and never connects. Hasn't worked once.

I know the issue isnt on the other end, since my other devices can all connect easily to other wireless networks, and again, the hardwiring via the same router, works fine...so I am left to think there is some IP issue. Here is what further makes me think this.

When I go to http://192.168.1.1 (the router's default IP address), I dont go to the router's admin page, but instead to a "WireSpeed Data Gateway" page that appears to be an admin area for someone else's hardware, presumably someone else in my building with one of numerous insecure wireless setups.

So a couple of questions

1) Is this evidence of my connection woes being caused by IP conflicts and just too many networks trying to occupy the same virtual space?

2) If so, how can I remedy this?

If not, what else can I do? How can I log into change the settings if I cant even access the router via the IP?

Help!
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:46 AM
NETGEAR Addict

fihart is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Change Default IP On WGR614 Router

In Windows go Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt and type
ipconfig /all which should display a list of network components -- the one with the word gateway will tell you your router's IP address.

If your wireless adapter is hooking in to the wrong network, suggest you change the SSID to something unique.
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:34 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Change Default IP On WGR614 Router

Moving to Super-G (108 Mbps) & 802.11g (54 Mbps) Routers