Old December 18th, 2006, 06:39 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

KarenH is on a distinguished road
Question New laptop can't connect to internet through wireless router.

Have WGR614v5 wireless router with 1 desktop and 2 laptops accessing internet through the router. Am trying to add another laptop but it will not accept passphrase or encryption key and I cannot find the MAC address to manually add it to the router. Any suggestions? The previous three were not difficult to add but this one refuses! Help!
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:40 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New laptop can't connect to internet through wireless router.

If you have an con in the taskbar for the wireless device right click it, select Status, then Details, the Physical Address is the MAC address. That might not work if you are using the Netgear Utility, thigh is should be able to give the same detail. Otherwise type ipconfig /all at a command prompt and it will be in the listing produced.

I assume the laptop sees the network?

If the laptop is running a software firewall try disabling it, it can be configured and turned back on later.
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:12 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

francisco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
trying to add another laptop but it will not accept passphrase or encryption key and I cannot find the MAC address to manually add it to the router. Any suggestions? The previous three were not difficult to add but this one refuses! Help!
Do you have MAC access restrictions on the router?
Do you see your network listed when you tell the laptop to show you nearby networks?
Old December 20th, 2006, 01:09 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yes, the laptop shows the network in the list but can't connect. I have put the MAC address in the router and have disabled the firewall on the laptop but nothing helps. I am almost to the point of removing the security setting on the router. Can't understand why 2 other laptops and 1 desktop can connect but not this laptop! Any other ideas?
Old December 20th, 2006, 02:35 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Do you know what wireless device the laptop is fitted with? Are the drivers for the laptop device up to date? Is there an icon to control it in the task bar? Is it possible that you have both the manufacturers control utility running and the Windows wireless configuration utility running, if that can be a source of problems, only one is normally used.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:49 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yes, the laptop has its own wireless utility (up to date drivers) and I am attempting to connect through it. The taskbar shows both icons so maybe I should close the Windows icon?? I had not thought it would make any difference so long as I was not trying to connect through it. I did briefly remove the security settings on the router and was able to connect the laptop. However, at that point my other computers would not connect! What a mess!