Old July 24th, 2007, 10:49 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

max_________ is on a distinguished road
Default A quick RP614 router question.

Hello all,

I am here to ask a question about the RP614 v3 router (netgear). Recently I have come to suspect that my some people on my street are stealing my wirless internet connection.

My set up is a bit wierd, but I will try to exlplain it to you. We have 2 computers in my household (both macintosh, although I dont know if that makes a difference), one is connected directly to the modem (Netcomm AB5 if you need to know). The other is connected through a wire-less network (airport express) that is connect to the RP614 v3 router.

My question basically is: What security would you put in place to stop this theiving, and how would you do it? I assume that the security is done through the router, but if any of the other devices could help, please do not hesitate to tell me. I had a quick glance over the router settings page but I failed to find any security options.

Any help is greatly appretiated,

Max.
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:59 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

vishwaboom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A quick RP614 router question.

Hi max_________,

Just want to inform you that RP614v3 is a wired router. IT has no wireless capabilities.....are you using any AP for your wireless network???
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:48 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

What does AP mean? I am using an airport express, which is an apple product, to make a wireless network, and it works fine (if that is what you mean).
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:20 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

vishwaboom is on a distinguished road

AP - Access point...

I think Airport express is a wireless adapter and not an access point....can you make sure you are connecting to your own wireless network??
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:20 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Well when I disconnect the cord to the internet, the internet on the wireless stops working, so I assume that is proof enough. We only have 3 devices there: The router, the modem and the airport Express (and a load of cables).
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:33 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

there is not way to access to your network when you have wired router not wireless router. Access Point means wireless.

There is wireless router and Wireless access point but bottom line is these are wireless. RP is wired and do not have wireless capability

Your Mac has Airport but this will not make connection from other wireless unit . There is way but I don't you are and you have to physically change on your Mac to do that but that very rare situation so I will not go there.

So end result you bandwidth is not taking away by anyone.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:41 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

AndyMatts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_________ View Post
Hello all,

I am here to ask a question about the RP614 v3 router (netgear). Recently I have come to suspect that my some people on my street are stealing my wirless internet connection.

My set up is a bit wierd, but I will try to exlplain it to you. We have 2 computers in my household (both macintosh, although I dont know if that makes a difference), one is connected directly to the modem (Netcomm AB5 if you need to know). The other is connected through a wire-less network (airport express) that is connect to the RP614 v3 router.

My question basically is: What security would you put in place to stop this theiving, and how would you do it? I assume that the security is done through the router, but if any of the other devices could help, please do not hesitate to tell me. I had a quick glance over the router settings page but I failed to find any security options.

Any help is greatly appretiated,

Max.
Go into your airport setup software on your Mac, and set it up to have password protection. You should have two levels of passwords - the administrator password protection, which allows you to change configurations, and the wireless network password, which wireless users would need to use your Airport bandwidth.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

The Airport Express is a wireless access point - and if someone is stealing your bandwidth, this is where they will connect.

I'm not familiar with the different models of the Airport Express, but they should offer some form of encryption - either WEP or WPA - which you will need to configure to secure your connection.

Assisting with configuration of an Apple airport is beyond the scope of this forum, so you may need to seek assistance elsewhere.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordem View Post
The Airport Express is a wireless access point - and if someone is stealing your bandwidth, this is where they will connect.

I'm not familiar with the different models of the Airport Express, but they should offer some form of encryption - either WEP or WPA - which you will need to configure to secure your connection.

Assisting with configuration of an Apple airport is beyond the scope of this forum, so you may need to seek assistance elsewhere.
usually you have to use airport admin utility.. again.. agree with "fordem" , time to to apple forum
http://www.apple.com/support/