Old July 31st, 2007, 11:14 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

GeoffL is on a distinguished road
Default Wireless Connection Problem to Digital Photo Frame.

I have been facinated by Digital Photo Frames and have just bought a Momento100 frame that receives streamed photographs wirelessly to the Photoframe from a networked PC. My problem is that I cannot connect it to my network.

The Photo Frame recognises my network, but will not connect to it. I have tried to make the connection at the lowest level by allowing broadcast of the SSID and disabling security but to no avail. I have also tried all the mode combinations, different channels and even a different region (in conjunction with a different region on the photoframe) - all without success.

Help from the Momento helpline has been limited and generally consists of reboot the router, reboot the photoframe and follow the instructions to connect to a wireless network.

My router is a DG834Gv3 updated to firmware version V4.01.28. In all other aspects it works just fine, I have had it for almost a year.

Any ideas anyone?

Many tks

Geoff
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:26 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wireless Connection Problem to Digital Photo Frame.

What happens when the Momento tries to connect? Do you see any kind of error message? You say you have disabled security, does that include things like MAC access lists?

My name is Andy.
Old July 31st, 2007, 09:36 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hi Andy,

There are no error messages as such on the Momento. The only indication you get is after it has timed out from trying to connect, is a "Unable to connect" to your network message.

For the disabling of security, yes I have included full access to all, ie not limited by MAC address.

Since my initial post here, I have read on other forums (not Netgear) and reviews that this sems to be a common problem. I quote:

"For us, setting up the Momento's WiFi connectivity was an exercise in frustration. We eventually got it working, but only long after we suspect the average consumer would've given up and packed it for return. The madness began when we fired up the frame for the first time; it detected our 802.11g network right away and prompted us to enter the WPA key. Well, we did that. The Momento happily accepted it, even, and proceeded to the next screen where we were told no Windows Media Connect systems were found on the network. We knew that wasn't the case, so we rebooted and selected the network again. This time, instead of entering the WPA key, we selected the "Use existing settings" option, which froze the unit. We were able to freeze it this way again and again; the option simply doesn't work (ah, the joys of early firmware revisions!). Next we tried using the frame's USB port to load wireless settings via Windows Connect Now -- which it allegedly supports -- but were repeatedly issued an error that the USB drive couldn't be read. Anyway, we eventually discovered that the Momento was totally not cool with our Netgear WAG102's WPA / WPA2 hybrid functionality; setting it to pure WPA (and frustratingly changing all our existing devices to use WPA) cleared the issue right up and the frame happily connected."

and

"Other have written about all the positives, but I thought I would inform would-be-buyers about the big reasons they might not want to buy it. The product has great capability but really lacks in software and networking. Sure it can do wireless networking... if you network is in the stone age! Wi-Fi requires that new products like this support things like WPA2 and AES encryption at least. This thing will NOT work with your network if you have WPA2 and/or AES enable. I don't mean that you require WPA2 and/or AES for something to connect, no... even if you enable mixed mode where your access point allows WPA/WPA2 and/or TKIP/AES it will refuse to connect. You have to switch ALL of your network to WPA with TKIP to be able to use this device! What a rip off! "

To be honest, I am not hopeful, which is a shame as the "streaming photos from your PC" bit is the bit that sold the frame to me in the first place - we have nearly 10,000 pictures stored away!

Geoff
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:27 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
omento was totally not cool with our Netgear WAG102's WPA / WPA2 hybrid functionality; setting it to pure WPA (and frustratingly changing all our existing devices to use WPA) cleared the issue right up and the frame happily connected."You have to switch ALL of your network to WPA with TKIP to be able to use this device! What a rip off! "
Based on your post this unit like WPA-TKP. DG unit should support his so I would try using WPA-TKP

Sounds like it very specific with your wireless encryption type to make a connection.
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:22 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL View Post
To be honest, I am not hopeful, which is a shame as the "streaming photos from your PC" bit is the bit that sold the frame to me in the first place - we have nearly 10,000 pictures stored away!

Geoff
I would be tempted to buy one for that reason

I agree with June, I would be suprised if there was no encrytption option in the router that would allow a connection, I had a similar problem yesterday with a PDA and had to set my router specifically to WPA/TKIP.

My name is Andy.
Old August 1st, 2007, 12:02 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Tks Andy, Tks June.

I have tried all modes - and a numer of times with each one, just to make sure. But no matter what I try I still have no connection. I think my next step is to return it and wait 6 months for an 'improved' version! The company I bought it from are (rightly) agreeable to a return.

Alternatively, I could buy an 8GB USB Flash drive and see how many pictures I could get on there.....

Thanks again,

Geoff

(case closed - unfixed!)