Old November 22nd, 2006, 09:53 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

buggsy2 is on a distinguished road
Default Missing Installation CD for WPN824v2

Missing Installation CD for WPN824v2, can someone make an image of it and make it available??

And BTW, the box for Serial Number on the underside of the router is empty; where does one find the SN to register?

Thanks.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 05:43 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Netgear1-9A-Z is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Missing Installation CD for WPN824v2

Hi buggsy2 and welcome to the forum.

You do not need the cd to install the router. Plug the modem into the internet port of the router and the computer into one of the 4 remaining LAN ports. Bring up an internet explorer browser and the setup wizard should come up.
If not make sure that your computer is set to obtain an ip address automatically and type 192.168.1.1 into the browser. You may have to login with admin and password or it may take you straight to the setup wizard.
In any case you need to run the setup wizard so the router can detect the type of internet connection you have and set up wireless.

If the device does not have a serial number on the bottom, it is most likely refurbished and you will have to use email support and that is limited to 30 days.

Peace
Old November 23rd, 2006, 06:26 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

buggsy2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Yes, it's a refurb product from Woot. As for email support it's a Catch 22: I can't use email until I register the product, but product registrations wants a serial number, which I don't have....
Old December 10th, 2006, 05:25 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Doreann is on a distinguished road

I too am missing the installation CD for the WPN824, but I do happen to have the Serial number. I tried to follow your instructions and after entering the Login and Password required by CenturyTel. I selected save and it said wireless activation. Suddenly over in the right frame it said something like "IBM****** computer is now managing this. 192.168.1.2" I am not quoting this correctly because I no longer get this message. I then refreshed the network list on a different wireless laptop to see if it was picking up on the router and it didn't. I then went back to the original computer and clicked on the work wireless on the left frame. This made the middle frame show the same thing as the right frame. Something about the IBM managing (I am assuming this is refering to the laptop I was working on since it is an IBM). I then tried to refresh the screen and it became blank with just the same IBM message written in black across the top.
I then did something I fear was stupid and tried to reset the router with the reset button on the back. Now I get nothing when I try to go to 192.168.1.1, it just stays an hour glass. I am able to conect to the internet still through it, but it only allows one computer at a time (I think this is because each computer has to log in seperately through CenturyTel.

AUGGGGG
Help.

Thanks,
Dore
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:24 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

What kind of modem does CenturyTel provide (manufacturer and model number)? If it is an ADSL type then it is possible that you run some sort of client software on the PC, which hopefully should not be needed with the router in place. If set up properly the router will be logging into CenturyTel and the router uses Network Address Translation to direct data to the different PCs from the single Internet (WAN) connection.

The IBM message you see is the network name of the computer. Only one computer at a time is normally allowed to configure the router, so attempting to configure from a second PC may well fail, though Internet access on both PCs should be possible. There may also be a veto period where if you close the browser on the PC configuring the router, a second PC will not be able to configure for 15 minutes or so, though I canít say for sure that your router features this.

Using the reset button should do no harm, it is a factory reset which clears all settings back to defaults, including the password. The button needs to be held in for at least 30 seconds with the router powered on. I think you need to investigate your PC configuration before resetting the router without any real need, this may just confuse matters.

It is possible that your laptop TCP/IP settings are incorrect, these need to be set to obtain IP addresses automatically, this is detailed in the manual available here;

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WPN824v2.asp

Another typical problem is that a software firewall on the PC is blocking data, temporarily disabling the firewall can confirm this.