Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old September 6th, 2007, 06:00 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Jonny is on a distinguished road
Default Red X, no connection... :(

I have a Comtrend CT-301 Modem, and a Netgear WGR614 v6 router. I recently have been having connection issues, but have found no solutions. I have a desktop PC which is connected directly to the router, and a laptop, which I 'had' wireless running on recently. The desktop connection is working fine. I just updated my firmware of my router to the most current.

Here's my problem. I have no connection on my laptop. I refresh the list, and I can't get a SSID to show up. I just recieve a red 'X' on my toolbar where it shows the connection. I am right beside the router, and there is nothing interfering with the signal. I live in a rural area, so my connection is the only one that will be on the list. So there is no way of checking to see if I can see other signals of people in my neighborhood.

I am running the firmware: V2.0.19_1.0.19NA which to my knowledge is the most recent firmware.

I tried resetting the router several times. I am running XP home (SP2) on the desktop used to set up the settings. I am running Vista on my laptop.

The lights I see when I look at the router are.
- Green Power (flashes ever now and then)
- Green Wireless
- Orange Internet (flashes every now and then)
- And the Green Port 1 (my desktop connection)

I recently had a problem where I it said I had a signal of: Excellent, yet only having a connection of 1mbps.

My network adapter in my laptop is a Broadcom 802.11g. I looked for some kind of firmware (don't have a clue if it has updated firmware, don't know much about networks either). So if anyone knows anything about this, or any thing I need to download, help would be appreciated.

I am not using any WEP or passwords at the moment, just until I set up this connection. I've provided you with everything I know in hopes of your help.

Thanks, and I may have double posted, (unsure)
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:51 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Red X, no connection... :(

I could find very little information on your modem, but from what I can see it is a modem/router (does it hold your ISP login details?). If so it might be worth checking if you can put it into Bridged Mode.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/canbrbd/all#9822

My name is Andy.
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:08 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Jonny is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Red X, no connection... :(

bump

Help would be awesome