Old September 15th, 2007, 06:52 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

kuzano is on a distinguished road
Default Wireless light blinking WGR614

I just installed a WGR614 wireless router. Everything works fine, including the security. I only have one concern. The wireless light is blinking steadily. I have another netgear router in another application that is on steadily.

I can't find any manual instructions indicating that a blinking light is OK. It looks to me like the instruction manual only deals with a steady wireless light. My wireless computer hooks right up. The security seems to be in place, since I cannot access it with another laptop unless I put in a pass phrase. I can see the other computer on my network and transfer/open files. I used Network Magic to set up the network and it was flawless.

The blinking wireless light bugs me, unless I can get some verification that it is OK for it to blink.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:35 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wireless light blinking WGR614

Most router wireless lights blink with wireless activity, even the presence of another network of clients, but only data with the correct key gets through. Are you using WPA? If your other router is on another channel that is clear of other networks that may be a reason why it does not blink.

My name is Andy.
Old September 16th, 2007, 04:14 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

jonstepp is on a distinguished road

I am having the exact same issue. I have two WGR614 routers, one is a v6 and the other a v7. The wireless light on the v6 is steady unless there is wireless activity. The v7 flashes continuously, once every second, even when there are no wireless clients, both routers on same channel, stitting side by side, v6 lights steady, v7 blinks. Netgear support only replies saying the blinking is normal when there is wireless activity. Well, duh, that's obvious. But it seems like the light shouldn't be blinking for no reason. I've replied to support 3 times and they keep telling me the light will blink when there is wireless activity. This is not the normal random flashing when there is wireless communication, this is a steady rhythm, once every second. Nothing in documentation, and it seems like it would be an unusual change to make going from one rev of firmware to the next. At least I've found someone else that has the same symptoms so that makes me feel a little better. :-)
Old September 16th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

it seems like all the home end router blinks regardless.
Old September 16th, 2007, 05:04 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

kuzano is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll let it be as long as everything is working. Looks like the firmware version may be contributing, but I just updated the firmware off the Netgear site when I installed it.
Thanks again.

Lars
Old September 16th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll let it be as long as everything is working. Looks like the firmware version may be contributing, but I just updated the firmware off the Netgear site when I installed it.
Thanks again.

Lars
my WPN824 never stops blinking for over 2years now... talking about blinking I get more linking then yours ...

mine was V1 and when V2 come about the decide to have disable option to take the blinking off on led.. you will still get blinking on front panel... if you know what I'm talking about.. 2inch circle on top of the router lis like christmas tree