Old October 28th, 2007, 04:46 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

garthiac is on a distinguished road
Question HTTP400 Bad Request

I have been trying to access my wireless router MR314 and am unable to because the http://19.168.0.1 gives me an HTTP400 Bad Request error message. I am having problems with wirelessly connecting to my laptop but when I connect through the wired connection it works fine. Is my laptop broken? Why can I not connect to the wireless router to check the settings (have not had this problem before). I am very frustrated and am trying to figure out if my laptop needs work or if my router is broken (yet I'd assume that if i can connect through a direct wired line the router is fine?).

Please Help!!!
Old October 28th, 2007, 07:10 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HTTP400 Bad Request

hard reset the router first and see what happens..
Old October 28th, 2007, 07:28 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
hard reset the router first and see what happens..
I did do this and I get the same HTTP400 Bad Request message. I am able to connect to the router wirelessly now though. In a previous thread there was a recommendation to un-click internet explorer to "enable native HMLHTTP support". I did that and it didn't work. Any further ideas for me to access the router?
Old October 28th, 2007, 07:35 PM

check your firewall on PC .. try disable it

if wired or wireless works the sounds like router is working.. when you hard reset, you would setup your router like for the first time. Did that happened?
Old October 29th, 2007, 08:38 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
check your firewall on PC .. try disable it

if wired or wireless works the sounds like router is working.. when you hard reset, you would setup your router like for the first time. Did that happened?
No this didn't happen. The first time I set it up for use I had to log onto the router through the http://192.168.0.1 site to change the name and set up encription, but besides that the computer sees it and will connect to it. Any more ideas on how to get to the router or change something on my laptop to connect to the http site? I have never had this problem connecting to it before.
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:12 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

I would say first of all make sure you have the correct IP address, if you type ipconfig /all at a Command Prompt (Start, All Programs, Accessories) then the address you see for the Gateway should be the router address e.g. 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Then if you still have problems try disconnecting the modem from the router so that just the PC is connected to the router, repeat the above IP check, and then in the browser window try the IP address again (without the modem connected).

My name is Andy.
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:28 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
I would say first of all make sure you have the correct IP address, if you type ipconfig /all at a Command Prompt (Start, All Programs, Accessories) then the address you see for the Gateway should be the router address e.g. 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Then if you still have problems try disconnecting the modem from the router so that just the PC is connected to the router, repeat the above IP check, and then in the browser window try the IP address again (without the modem connected).
I know for sure that I have the right IP address because I have used it before to access the router. I will try the unconnecting the modem and trying the router later tonight, I am at work now. I will report back then. If There are anyother suggestions I am open to figuring out the problem.
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:45 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post

I have done what you asked me to and with and without the modem plugged in I get the same info.

Here it is:
DNS Suffix: myhome.westell.com (this is my modem)
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Default Gateway:192.168.0.1

Shouldn't the router name show up in the DNS Suffix???

I have even stumoed the Netgear support because they keep telling me to log onto the router..... but they don't seem to be getting that I CAN'T

Anymore ideas???
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:55 PM

you have DSL? then did you put your westell on "bridge mode"?
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:53 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

As June said, your modem might need to be bridged, but if you are seeing those settings in the ipconfig listing when connected to the router alone (and after rebooting the router and PC) then perhaps the TCP/IP settings of the PC are static. Check this out;

http://documentation.netgear.com/ref...work-3-12.html

What is the brand and model number of your modem?

My name is Andy.