Old November 24th, 2006, 04:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Dan is on a distinguished road
Default Zyxel modem and Netgear WGR614v6 wont play together

Hi

I've just changed my ISP and before that I had a Motorola modem, after which my Netgear WGR614v6 router was hooked up. However, my new ISP has given me a Zyxel Prestige 2000 series modem.

Connecting directly and wired from the modem to my Macbook causes no problem and the connection is fine but if I put in the router everythings just comes to an abrupt hold. I can't access the router via routerlogin, nor wirelessly and even a wired connection going from modem > router > macbook just gives nothing. However, removing the internet-access and making a wired connection to the router allows me to access the routerlogin after a power-down of the router... Funny enough, when the modem is connected to the router the small "i" is alight, so the router is seeing the modem.

Is there an incompability issue here, or what is the problem? I use DHCP when connecting directly to the modem.

Also, the router firmware should be the latest available.

I have tried to access the router without the modem connected and plugin in the modem, the router is capable of verifying the internet connections as a DSL, however, it stalls in the next step.

Does anyone have a suggestion as how to get my wireless internet going?

Thanx in advance!

Dan
Old November 24th, 2006, 05:55 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Zyxel modem and Netgear WGR614v6 wont play together

I believe that your Zyxel uses the same IP range for configuration as the Netgear router, and this is causing conflicts.

If the Zyxel supports Bridged Mode then try that, otherwise you could change the base address of the Netgear router, e.g. 192.168.10.XXX. If the Zyxel has router functions like DHCP and NAT you could use the Netgear router as an access point like this;

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101496.asp
Old November 24th, 2006, 06:43 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Ok, I've been in the settings of the Netgear router but I can find where to change the base adress...

Also, if I should change the router to an access point, according to your link, howcome is there TWO Netgear routers, a non-wireless and a wireless? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance for your kind help!
Old November 24th, 2006, 08:19 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for the advices

Where do I change the base IP? I've been looking around in the settings but can't seem to find the exact spot...

Btw, I did a reset and now I'm able to access the setup, while the internet connection is wired into the router. The setup wizard says that the internet connection is working alright and if I change anything, for instance the use of MAC address (btw, which one is it supposed to be?), I can see the the changes occur via the wireless and on the network settings on my computer, so there's a connection between my macbook and the router, the internet is going into the router just fine but then, for some reason, the signal just stops and doesn't go beyond the Netgear router.

Don't know if that's any help.... ?

Thx in adv.
Dan
Old November 24th, 2006, 10:27 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

The router menu option to change the LAN base IP address in ‘LAN IP Setup’ page 6-9 of the manual.

The diagram in the link shows two routers and a modem, but some units are a router/modem combine, yours may be. In that case the right hand router and the modem would be a single unit. Note that a router does not have to have multiple LAN ports, typically such a router/modem would use an external hub to keep costs down for the unit.

If your PC can communicate with the router, and the router can communicate with your modem, then it may just be that the router has not picked up your ISPs DNS server addresses. You can enter these manually in the router ‘Basic Settings’ page 3-4. If you know your ISPs web address they often have a page which lists their DNS servers, or you could try this (enter your ISP URL);

http://www.checkdns.net/quickcheckdomainf.aspx

I’m not sure of the MAC address that that you are referring to since MAC addresses are used in several places. If it’s in Basic Settings then the default is usually OK, unless your ISP registers your PC MAC address in which case you need the ‘Use Computer MAC Address’ option (with the computer that is normally connected to the Internet configuring the router).
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:22 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

You're referring to pages, I guess that must be in the manual? Shoot, then I must find the box somewhere down the basement.

I've sort of given up on this.... this is my first experience with wireless routers, so I haven't got a clue to what to tweak next, how and what the possible subsequences of it might be (except for yet another reset of the router).

I receive an IP via DHCP from my ISP - could that be the problem? I mean, I have the router configured to DNS, I believe...
Old November 26th, 2006, 02:53 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

To save going into the basement, you can view your manual from here;

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wgr614v6.asp

Take a look and try again, I'm not entirely sure what problem you have now
Old November 27th, 2006, 01:44 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks a lot for your kind help, Mars Mug!

I'll take a thorough look in the manual today, and see if I can figure out why the Zyxel modem and the Netgear router won't speak properly together.

The problem is the same; the router seems to pick up the signal from the modem, and even my macbook picks up on the signal and the internet connection via the wireless connection, but the pages just don't load. Either that or in a mindnumblingly slow pace...

I'll return when/if I find out more.
Old November 27th, 2006, 02:29 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

OK, well I could be wrong of course but it still sounds like a DNS issue to me, your browser is unable to resolve a URL like www.microsoft.com into an IP address because it can’t find a DNS. If that’s the case I think you should still be able to access sites by entering the IP address in the browser address bar, Microsoft is 207.46.19.30

If that doesn’t work then opening a command prompt and pinging 207.46.19.30 should work.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:58 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Zyxel modem and Netgear WGR614v6 wont play together

Okay, I finally managed to connect my girlfriends iMac and my Macbook to the Net via the Netgear router. I used your advice, Mars Mug, and the one vital information from my ISP, who wrote me in an email that their Zyxel modem uses the same IP adress, i.e. 192.168.1.1. The Netgear router uses the same IP and if the router settings are on the DHCP option the modem and router conflict in getting an IP from the ISP. Or something like that. At least that is what I believe was the reason for the internet signal just hanging, even though the modem and the router seemed to communicate fine.

With that in mind I disconnected it all, and made a hardwiring between my Macbook and the Netgear router as the only thing being hooked up and did a full reset of the router. Next I logged into the router settings, changed and locked the Netgear router IP to 192.168.1.99 and unchecked the DHCP option and applied all to the router settings.

Also, I avoided all use of the LAN port on the router, only using port 1-4. This apparently did the trick, using the protocol as how to make one's Netgear router into an access point.

The funny thing is that I remember to have tried something similar but apparently this time I struck the right order of wiring things and setting it up, logging on to routersettings.com.

Well, everything seems to work reliably and have done so for 2-3 days.

Thanks for all the help in here; it was/is VERY much appreciated!

Happy holidays everyone and merry Xmas!