Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old November 17th, 2007, 05:31 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

cjpeltz is on a distinguished road
Default Wireless USB Adapter HOT!

I have a NetGear USB Wireless Adapter (WG111T) that gets EXTREMELY HOT even after a short period of use. Because of the heat, it seems as if I lose my wireless connection and I have to disconnect the USB to let it cool off. Is this a known/common problem? If so, is there anything I can do to fix this, beyond buying a new USB adapter?
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:28 PM
NETGEAR Expert

simple is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wireless USB Adapter HOT!

It is normal for them to get hot, how hot is extremely?
Old November 18th, 2007, 01:39 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Some laptop designs carelessly place the USB ports near to the CPU exhaust. The USB devices do get hot anyway, but next to the exhaust makes things worse. Try using a USB extension lead if you are not doing so already. Anything over 37 degrees centigrade will seem warm, and 60 degrees centigrade will seem very hot (and is probably too hot for normal operation of the device.

My name is Andy.
Old November 18th, 2007, 01:49 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

What about the fact that I keep losing my Wireless connection? I'm not that far from the wireless router, and it shouldn't normally lose the connection. It happens fairly often, and I have to unplug and plug the adapter back in to get everything back to normal. Is this a common problem? Anything I can do to fix it? I saw another post about disabling a Windows service, but that didn't seem to improve the situation.
Old November 18th, 2007, 02:15 PM
NETGEAR Expert

simple is on a distinguished road

It is quite common, it can be caused by various things, another router on the same channel for example. You could try changing the channel on the router config page under wireless, use 1 6 or 11. If you download netstumbler, you can see if there is anything else nearby using the same channel.

Also, I have found that the netgear bundled software is less reliable than the windows zero config service, and switching to let windows manage it helps (you are prompted which one to manage wireless when you install the adapter).
Old November 19th, 2007, 09:15 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks, simple, your advice is helpful.

If I already installed the netgear software, how can I configure my laptop to use the wireless zero config service instead of what comes with netgear?