Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old November 18th, 2007, 01:28 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

kingaaa is on a distinguished road
Default Is "N" better than "G"?

Just bought a WNR834B,all my connections will be wired exept for my laptop, a Del XPS 1710 with a Dell wireless "G" PCI card. just wondering if I would be better off replacing my Dell PCI wireless "G" card for a Dell PCI Wireless "N" card?
Old November 18th, 2007, 01:53 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is "N" better than "G"?

You should not be any worse off. The router dictates the rate, and so does the environment, the presence of other networks and clients can cause the router to reduce its rate. But if the environment is good then ‘N’ should be faster. If it doesn’t cost too much it may be worthwhile changing, and if you find the performance is erratic then you can always set the router to ‘G’ only.

It also depends on what you use it for. For Internet access only on the average broadband connection it will make no difference, for PC to PC file transfers it should be faster, for video streaming on a LAN it should also be faster and better for HD video, but some people have reported problems with stutter in the presence of many other wireless networks.

The other problem is Wireless ‘N’ does not always work well between different manufacturers, so I couldn’t say for sure if they are fully compatible, but they should still work at B/G rates.

Like I say though, if it doesn’t cost too much it may well be worth a go.

My name is Andy.
Old November 18th, 2007, 02:25 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

The 802.11n specification is still in draft - it's currently at Draft 2.0, Draft 3.0 is expected to be announced in late 2007, and approved in early 2008, with the final spec to be ratified in 2009.

Essentially what this means is that any product currently on the market, compatible with the current spec may or many not remain compatible depending on what changes are made. You may find that some manufacturers claim guaranteed compatability, but - in my view - since they don't know what the final spec will be they can't make guarantees.

As an example - current draft allows for backward compatability with 802.11a/b/g - yet most product is only 802.11b/g compatible (802.11a compatibility requires a 5GHz radio) so if the final spec requires 802.11a compatability, it's going to take more than a firmware upgrade to fix it.

802.11n supposedly promises faster speeds (theoretically up to 270 mbps) and greater range, however, different manufacturers have - so to speak - gambled on what features will make it into the final spec, and as a result, as Andy has pointed out - different manufacturers products do not always work well with each other.

My suggestion is that you wait - if you can - before purchasing.
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:20 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

kingaaa is on a distinguished road

Once again, good advice, Thanks lads.