Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old December 8th, 2007, 05:11 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

jpchurch34 is on a distinguished road
Question Speed? Modem? Router? or Cable ISP provider?

I just switched from DSL to cable modem. broadstripe.com. During this change I bought a new motorola surfboard cable modem and your netgear router. Broadstripe claims I am getting 4MB. Speedtests suggest closer to 1.5MB. (DSL was fast and reliable at 3MB.) How do I know if it is your router, the cable modem or the cable service???
Old December 8th, 2007, 08:40 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Speed? Modem? Router? or Cable ISP provider?

It's called elimination - you eliminate each variable one by one (well as far as possible) - you can remove the router and connect the PC directly to the modem, and either pinpoint or eliminate the router as the culprit.
Old December 9th, 2007, 08:02 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jpchurch34 is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Speed? Modem? Router? or Cable ISP provider?

Ran the modem directly to the computer, taking the router out of the loop. Seems to be the cable. Is there such a thing as a booster or amplifier?
Is there line noise causing this? Or is cable misleading when it says "upto of 4MB"???
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:12 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Speed? Modem? Router? or Cable ISP provider?

Well - upto 4 mbps means exactly that - essentially it means - could be less than 4 mbps, or, not more than 4 mbps.

One of the issues with cable internet is that it is what we call "shared medium" - the medium or cable is shared by multiple users, and the more users at any given time, the less the bandwidth available to each user - this is distinctly different to DSL, where each user has a dedicated cable from the DSL multiplexer to the user's location.

Can line noise cause it ?

I suppose it could, I don't have that much experience with cable, it's not offered in my neck of the woods.

Is there such a thing as a booster or amplifier ?

I have my doubts - cable boosters & amplifiers do exist, but many of them are "one way" - intended for television usage, you would need two way to deal with the return signal that cable internet uses.