Old December 13th, 2007, 10:11 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

MARK0202 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Port Forwarding

I had a few questions concerning the method of port forwarding.

I use Comcast as my ISP, and log onto teh comcast home networking site using the gateway IP, to change the settings of my router..etc.
FYI: The following is the gateway summary of my router.
Firmware Version: V3.6.4R12
HOPE THAT HELPS...

(Please let me know if more details are necessary to assist me with my question, thanks)

Basically, I am trying to get a game that is already installed on my computer to work online, so I can play multiplayer against others on the www. servers etc. Un-fortunetly I am having some connectivity issues while attempting to play. So, I was told to open ports on my ISP.

The problem I am having is...and the first question is minor,

1. The application I want to port forward is called "Battlefield 2", Do I enter in just that or is there a specific name in accordance to the '.exe' file of the application that needs to be entered in this field in order for the application port to be recognized? does it matter whether its bf2.exe or battlefield 2 ...?

2. DHCP Server: The Ip address I enter ranges from ".2 to .05" because there are multiple users on the original IP which is completely different from the range. i understand this to be the DHCP Server. Anyway, How to apply ports when my Ip keeps changing between the five different Ip's in the server?

Am I suppose to apply the same port forwarding numbers for all IP's in my network range described above.?

thanks ...
regards
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:51 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

MARK0202 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Port Forwarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK0202 View Post
I had a few questions concerning the method of port forwarding.

I use Comcast as my ISP, and log onto teh comcast home networking site using the gateway IP, to change the settings of my router..etc.
FYI: The following is the gateway summary of my router.
Firmware Version: V3.6.4R12
HOPE THAT HELPS...

(Please let me know if more details are necessary to assist me with my question, thanks)

Basically, I am trying to get a game that is already installed on my computer to work online, so I can play multiplayer against others on the www. servers etc. Un-fortunetly I am having some connectivity issues while attempting to play. So, I was told to open ports on my ISP.

The problem I am having is...and the first question is minor,

1. The application I want to port forward is called "Battlefield 2", Do I enter in just that or is there a specific name in accordance to the '.exe' file of the application that needs to be entered in this field in order for the application port to be recognized? does it matter whether its bf2.exe or battlefield 2 ...?

2. DHCP Server: The Ip address I enter ranges from ".2 to .05" because there are multiple users on the original IP which is completely different from the range. i understand this to be the DHCP Server. Anyway, How to apply ports when my Ip keeps changing between the five different Ip's in the server?

Am I suppose to apply the same port forwarding numbers for all IP's in my network range described above.?

thanks ...
regards
With regards to this last post I discovered the answer to my second question which still leaves me with the first...
1. Excatly what name do i enter in the application name section if the application I know is called Battlefield 2? I know this sounds stupid, but I imagin there is an exact 'name.exe' that may need to be put here...? no? (correct me if I am wrong)

PS: The anser to my question #2 is :

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

The Ip will change if its DHCP, most common now- a- days., so change your connectivity to the internet to a static IP, which wont change. (follow link above) If so, then ensure your router does not assign the same Ip to any other user/computer within the network with the same IP #, or else both pc's wont work.
Example: I have 5 pc's in my network at home (group home) and the router will assign any of the first five IP's, everytime the compter is re-booted. Ip ending in either (2-3-4-5-6) since we can go up to 267, then I used and IP ending in 123.
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:55 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Port Forwarding

1. You donít mention your router model anywhere, so hereís an example for the WGR614;

http://www.portforward.com/english/r...tlefield_2.htm

Essentially you can use any name you like, itís for your reference only.

2. You could also use DHCP Address Reservation (I do this for all my network devices, it makes things simple and still allows DHCP access for other PCs).

My name is Andy.