Old December 21st, 2007, 01:52 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

naza911 is on a distinguished road
Default Add Dynamic DNS

I use OpenDNS to block some sites and to keep track on what is used on my interent connection. I have a dynamic from my ISP, which needs updating everytime the router resyncs or whenever it changes. At the moment I am using a client but the dont really work well, say if my brother comes with his laptop and uses my internet when the IP has changed, unless he has the client install, it will go passed all my OpenDNS settings. I use dyndns.org which is an included DDNS service with my DG834GT router, but I was wondering whether there was a way to add a new service or modify the existing one(I dont really need dyndns.org as much as the openDNS).

Thanks for you help.
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:56 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Add Dynamic DNS

what you see is what you get.

answer is NO...
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:15 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

miked55737 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: Add Dynamic DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by naza911 View Post
I use OpenDNS to block some sites and to keep track on what is used on my interent connection. I have a dynamic from my ISP, which needs updating everytime the router resyncs or whenever it changes. At the moment I am using a client but the dont really work well, say if my brother comes with his laptop and uses my internet when the IP has changed, unless he has the client install, it will go passed all my OpenDNS settings. I use dyndns.org which is an included DDNS service with my DG834GT router, but I was wondering whether there was a way to add a new service or modify the existing one(I dont really need dyndns.org as much as the openDNS).

Thanks for you help.
I've been using DynDNS.org with my WNR854T without a problem for 6 months and have been very happy with it. I have come to the point now where I need to use another DDNS provider instead of DynDNS and I'm very very disappointed that Netgear ONLY supports DynDNS.org. My router is only 6 months old and now I have to buy another one? (non-Netgear apparently!) Ridiculous! I never saw anywhere in the knowledge base where it actually says it only works with DynDNS.org. If I had known this before I bought it, I would have gone with another brand. Big mistake on my part...Buyer Beware!
Old October 24th, 2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked55737 View Post
I've been using DynDNS.org with my WNR854T without a problem for 6 months and have been very happy with it. I have come to the point now where I need to use another DDNS provider instead of DynDNS and I'm very very disappointed that Netgear ONLY supports DynDNS.org. My router is only 6 months old and now I have to buy another one? (non-Netgear apparently!) Ridiculous! I never saw anywhere in the knowledge base where it actually says it only works with DynDNS.org. If I had known this before I bought it, I would have gone with another brand. Big mistake on my part...Buyer Beware!
with DSL changes IP quite often this will be more issue with ISP and dyndns. router itself is not updating on regular basis. it's not the lack of options but ISP chances IP more often causes the IP not update fast enough.

this will happen with other DDNS service since router itself needs to report.

best options for DSL services that change often is to use software base dyndns updater instead. it will work better.
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

miked55737 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
with DSL changes IP quite often this will be more issue with ISP and dyndns. router itself is not updating on regular basis. it's not the lack of options but ISP chances IP more often causes the IP not update fast enough.

this will happen with other DDNS service since router itself needs to report.

best options for DSL services that change often is to use software base dyndns updater instead. it will work better.
I've been using the DirectUpdate 4 DDNS program on the client in conjunction with the DynDNS DDNS service enabled on the router - are you saying I can disable DDNS on the router and just use the DirectUpdate program on the client to update my IP? (DirectUpdate does support the other DDNS provider I use, Namecheap). I've tried that and so far it hasn't worked. Please advise...
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked55737 View Post
I've been using the DirectUpdate 4 DDNS program on the client in conjunction with the DynDNS DDNS service enabled on the router - are you saying I can disable DDNS on the router and just use the DirectUpdate program on the client to update my IP? (DirectUpdate does support the other DDNS provider I use, Namecheap). I've tried that and so far it hasn't worked. Please advise...
each DDNS provider has it's won app base updater so you need to deal with whatever if other is available

you can disable DDNS on router and just use app only if that works out for you..

now if you are using dydns and dyndns updater on PC still can not properly update that info on their server is simply just not sync so in that case your other options is to get static IP instead.
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:54 AM
NETGEAR User

Netson is on a distinguished road

I am also using OpenDNS and would like to see the same feature added to the FVS336G. I have submitted a support request to add the DNS-O-Matic service to the router, which support updating many dynamic IP services all at once, including the aforementioned OpenDNS and DynDNS.

The DynDNS updater works fine on the FVS336G though (firmware 3.0.4-19), but being able to add OpenDNS is just as important.

I know that DD-WRT firmware supports it, but that obviously doesn't run on the FVS336G. Not sure about your router model though...

I have an old Linksys WRT150N functioning as an Access Point in my lan, which runs DD-WRT, however, it is setup as a forwarder (AP), so the FVS336G is still the DHCP for the wireless network. I tried using the WRT150N as the OpenDNS Updater (through DNS-O-Matic), but it doesn't work. I'm guessing this is because it tries to update through the WAN interface of the WRT150N, which is not connected...
* Netgear FVS336G SSL-VPN Gigabit Router
* Netgear GS108T 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch, LACP
* ASUS WL-500G Premium v2, running DD-WRT, Wireless Access Point and Wake-on-Lan
* ASUS P6T v2 Deluxe, dual Gigabit NIC's, LACP
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
but being able to add OpenDNS is just as important.
openDNS is alternative DNS service and NOT DDNS.

now could to add more option for using other DDNS services which I also mention long time ago myself too. I use dynDNS and does the job so I'm happy man
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:35 AM
NETGEAR User

Netson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
openDNS is alternative DNS service and NOT DDNS.
I am aware of that, however, to use all functionality that OpenDNS has to offer, you need to update your IP with their service as well. I also use DynDNS to have a domain point to my dynamic IP, but that doesn't update OpenDNS as well.

By using DNS-O-Matic you can automatically update a whole bunch of dynamic IP services (including the OpenDNS services, aside from being a DNS server - filtering, stats, etc) through one single update command from the router.

Most people who have a dynamic IP will already have to update their DynDNS service or equivalent when their IP changes. And since most routers only support updating a single service (not multiple services at the same time), DNS-O-Matic solves all the problems and in addition supports a whole bunch of additional dynamic DNS services.

Disclaimer: I do not work for OpenDNS/DNS-O-Matic, nor do I have any affiliation with these services whatsoever. I just happen to like what they have to offer and would like to see their products work with the Netgear products that I own, which I also like!
* Netgear FVS336G SSL-VPN Gigabit Router
* Netgear GS108T 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch, LACP
* ASUS WL-500G Premium v2, running DD-WRT, Wireless Access Point and Wake-on-Lan
* ASUS P6T v2 Deluxe, dual Gigabit NIC's, LACP
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netson View Post
I am aware of that, however, to use all functionality that OpenDNS has to offer, you need to update your IP with their service as well. I also use DynDNS to have a domain point to my dynamic IP, but that doesn't update OpenDNS as well.

By using DNS-O-Matic you can automatically update a whole bunch of dynamic IP services (including the OpenDNS services, aside from being a DNS server - filtering, stats, etc) through one single update command from the router.

Most people who have a dynamic IP will already have to update their DynDNS service or equivalent when their IP changes. And since most routers only support updating a single service (not multiple services at the same time), DNS-O-Matic solves all the problems and in addition supports a whole bunch of additional dynamic DNS services.

Disclaimer: I do not work for OpenDNS/DNS-O-Matic, nor do I have any affiliation with these services whatsoever. I just happen to like what they have to offer and would like to see their products work with the Netgear products that I own, which I also like!
I see what you mean.. we just hope Netgear engineer do something about changing the options for DDNS.

I think this thread will continue to no where unless everyone request to support and complain

I use openDNS but I use cable so I have less to deal with but for non static IP DSL user would this issue so would be nice to have some changes.

https://my.netgear-support.com/myNETGEAR/ENG/login.asp