Old January 6th, 2007, 01:34 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

larry77 is on a distinguished road
Default smart wizard for wg111u not opening

Hi
I have just purchased a wg111u adapter and I have downloaded the driver but the smart wizard does not open for me to configure. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it again but still no luck.
I have a 2nd hand Toshiba Portege with home XP which I am trying to set up for my daughter.
Any info please ?
Old January 7th, 2007, 08:13 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

larry77 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: smart wizard for wg111u not opening

I have now sorted that problem by finding the update wg111v2_2_0_1_beta_crn. This now works buy I am unable to connect on the internet even though it says it is connected.
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:33 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

scbarlow is on a distinguished road

I am having the same problem opening the Smart Wizard for the WG111, and I'm sorry I can't help you Larry. And the Netgear technicians can't help me either.

If this story sounds familiar to anyone and they solved the problem...I would appreciate a reply, as would Netgear I suppose.

I had been happily using the WG111 USB Adapter with the Netgear Wireless ADSL Modem/Router for about 3-months when my connection began to sporadically disconnect with a message "Network Cable Unplugged". I could successfully reconnect by Restarting the PC, but over a week the period I would remain connected degraded from being always connected to a couple of hours to 30-mins or so and a couple of mins and finally to a point where I could not connect at all upon starting the PC. I moved the PC to within reach of a wall jack so I could connect a cable (to connect to the Internet) and all was well again. So...was it the Router or the Adapter??

Started with the Router and to save you the detail...it was replaced by Netgear. All appears to be working with the cable but still no ability to connect to the Router using the Adapter.

The Netgear technicians ran through many setting checks with me by telephone over several sessions and many phone calls and we also checked the Adapter on a different computer using a different operating system. (I use Windows 2000 at home and I checked on my 'office' PC running XP). The problem was the same...we could not get the Smart Wizard to open, to complete the installation.

Netgear asks me to return the Adapter with the offer to replace it...and I did.

Upon receipt of the new Adapter, I contacted Netgear and they registered the new device and they guided me through downloading the appropriate Driver software direct from the Netgear website (using my cable connection of course).

Then we ran through the installation process from scratch, beginning with with uninstalling the Smart Wizard from the old device, restarting the PC, installing the software using the original CD (Netgear's suggestion not mine), restarting the PC, plugging in the Adapter and then attempting to start the Smart Wizard.

Same result - Smart Wizard will not open.

SETTINGS > Control Panel > System (Properties) > Hardware [Tab] > Device Manager > Network Adapters [Expand Field] > the Netgear WG111 device is apparent.

In the Network & Dial Up Connections, aside from the "network cable unplugged" status, the settings appear normal and there is an Authentication tab next to the General and Sharing tabs.

My status at this time is I am waiting for Netgear to return to me after they have "done more research". They have returned to me once already...they checked a few Windows "settings" and all seemed nortmal. They promised to call me back some time.

Any ideas?

Scbarlow
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:00 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

One thing you don’t mention, but may have done, is check the power settings for the device, like the ‘Allow windows to power down the device to save power’ setting.

In the device manager it might be worth checking the USB Hub details to see how much current the device is drawing.
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:54 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Sydney is on a distinguished road

Doubt this is still relevant to you but for the benefit of readers from the internet with the same problem, open your netgear folder (C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\) or whatever and delete all the .tmp files. Should work now
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:08 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

moving to Super-G (108 Mbps) & 802.11g (54 Mbps) Adapters
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:08 PM

pandabearbebop is on a distinguished road

I figured it out.
What you do is first install the software, and then restart. After restarting, plug in the usb adapter. It should automatically do the plug-n-play, and from there find the driver in program files>netgear>WG111>driver etc. and the smart wizard should pop up