Old February 7th, 2008, 03:29 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

parakeet is on a distinguished road
Default What is DMZ?

I'm trying to install a VNC server on Windows Vista with a DG834Gv4 modem router to enable remote desktop sharing support with a family member.

Have dropped Windows Firewall but to no avail. Have re-enabled Windows Firewall but created exceptions for ports 5900 and 5800 and the VNC app but to no avail. Have allowed the app through Windows Defender but to no avail.

FYI, WhatsMyIP.com shows a different address (79.75.XXX.XXX) than does hovering over the VNC server app's system tray icon (192.168.0.3).

Netgear support suggests I enable "Default DMZ" in the router's "WAN Setup - Advanced" settings, using the 79.75.XXX.XXX IP. But I don't know what this does.

Can someone explain what this means? Does doing this pose any risks? Will the change take effect without having to restart either the router or the machine?

I understand I can either do this or do "port forwarding"... ?

Thx
Old February 7th, 2008, 05:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

parakeet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is DMZ?

I might have intended to post this in NETGEAR Forums > SOHO Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > Super-G (108 Mbps) & 802.11g (54 Mbps) Routers