Old February 22nd, 2008, 03:51 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

popwireless is on a distinguished road
Default Port 25 SMTP Access blocked?

I have verified I can access my email services at web.com through a Linksys router via comcast.net from home but from work using comcast.net as the ISP and using a Netgear router SMTYP server on Port 25 is not reachable. I have tried adding a service on 25, triggering port 25, even forwarding 25 to no avail.

Why would a router block access to Port 25 and prevent a basic Internet function from working? Is this a common problem? We use an RP614v3 router. At my wits end here. I have a company full of people that need their email set up and it looks like one tiny little box is my nemesis.

HELP!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:14 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

dab is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Port 25 SMTP Access blocked?

It's most likeley not the router - some ISP's block port 25 to prevent spam relay.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:49 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

First - the RP614 is not intended for corporate use, it's consumer grade product.
Second - are you trying to access the same mail services from home and from work?

Assuming the answer to my question is yes, then I doubt that the router is responsible - it will very happily allow any outgoing request regardless of what port it is on.

Just as an example I have been able to access mail via SMTP on my corporate mail server from which ever hotel, airport, hotspot or home I have tried - absolutely no configuration is required on the client side router.

On the other hand - if the answer to my question is no - then you'd need to provide us with more detail on what you're trying to do. A mail server on the inside of the router does require the router to be specifically configured.

You could also take your Linksys from home into work just to confirm that the problem is/is not the router.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:26 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

The assumptions are not quite correct. Comcast.net does not block port 25 since I can successfully access the web.com mail from my home Comcast account using port 25. The account we have at work is with the same cable provider so I would assume the service should work the same way.

What I was hoping for was a solution. The simple answer may be to purchase a competing product.

What I have tried:

1. Created an SMTP SERVICE for Port 25 in port forwarding.
2. Tried port triggering.
3. Disabled McAfee software on a test computer.
4. Contacted web.com for advice.

Since I know I can send and receive mail using ports 110 and 25 on Comcast successfully and the only major difference appears to be the make of the router I make the assumption that the router is the culprit. The manual for it does say ports are locked down by default and you have to open them. It doesn't look like the router is allowing port 25 to be opened.

Still confused.....
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

It looks to me like the Port Forwarding menu in the router is where Netgear wants me to open this port. In the sticky above it says of port forwarding:

Tips on configuring port forwarding

Symptom(s): You may be experiencing these
- Unable to configure port forwarding for other software applications, external servers or gaming.

Resolution(s): Try these tips to improve router performance.

- You must know the port(s) that the application or game calls for.

(I know the ports and ports work successfully with Linksys product.)

- Some ISPís are blocking ports; i.e. 20, 21 and 80 are some examples, check with ISP to verify.

(I checked, They do not block.)

- Double Nat. Make sure modem is in bridged mode.

(Cable connection. Using as a router not a bridge. Cable modem is standard issue.)

- Reserve ip addresses for the computers to ensure they are getting the right ip for service created.

(Looking to open up Port 25 for all PC's on the LAN.)

- Disable SPI and other firewall.

(I shouldn't have to disable the firewall in the router or any other firewall to open a port. On one PC I did allow Port 25 to be open as a system service. No effect.)

- Create a DynDNS account for dynamic ipís from ISP.

(Pop receive email side of this works and the SAME address is used for outgoing interestingly enough. Just the ports are different.)

- Try updating the router's firmware.

(Scary.)
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

dab is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Comcast.net does not block port 25
Here is a quote from the FAQ section of the Comcast website

Quote:
Port 25 Blocking

Port 25 is conduit on a computer that spammers can take control of and use to send their spam - often without the user ever knowing his/her computer has been "hijacked". Comcast works with our customers to block access to Port 25 and protect their PC.
Comcast recommends that our customers establish a more secure email configuration on their PC - Port 587 - We have made it easy by creating a one-click fix that automatically configures your computers to this safer PC configuration.
and another

Quote:
Error #1 - Port 25. Secure (SSL); no Socket Error: 10053. Error Number 0x800CC0F.

This error indicates that your port 25 has been blocked. Comcast has determined that your computer has been infected with a virus and has been used to send out spam, liekly without your knowledge. By closing this port, we've taken steps to protect your computer from being used to send spam.
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM
NETGEAR User

Geoff_Vass is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Port 25 SMTP Access blocked?

Port forwarding is for inbound connections, whereas you want to be able to send email which is an outbound connection. Normally these are not restricted at all (by default).
Many ISPes now restrict communications on port 25 to only their SMTP host - if you are using a third-party host they may be blocking it.