Old March 6th, 2008, 05:15 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

goat455 is on a distinguished road
Default How to connect a network printer to Netgear router?

Hi all, hope someone can help. I want to set up a network printer to my system. I have a NETGEAR Wireless
Router MR814v2 that has 2 computers connected via ethernet cable, XBOX and a wireless devices. I now want
to connect a Minolta 2200 DeskLaser printer to it. This printer has an ethernet connection that when
I plug it to the back of an empty port of the Netgear router I don't see the connection while logged into
the router and checking attached devices. Shouldn't the router automatically detect the connection
of the Minolta printer? I did install all the software that the printer brought. Any suggestions on how
to get my Netgear router to locate the connected printer? Help please!
Old March 7th, 2008, 03:46 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to connect a network printer to Netgear router?

I have to assume that
Quote:
Shouldn't the router automatically detect the connection of the Minolta printer?
translates to you expecting to see the printer listed in the attached devices, if I'm right, then the answer is no, that would depend on how the printer is configured - the simple truth is your Netgear router, in fact all routers, neither know nor care what is connected, until such time as the device "talks" to it.

Depending on the particular router, attached devices can be shown in two different ways, as a list of devices to which ip addresses have been assigned by DHCP and as the contents of the arp cache, which would be devices that have recently (within the last few minutes) communicated with the router.

If your printer was configured with a static ip address, it will not request an address using DHCP, and so it will show up in the list of devices to which an address has been assigned, it is also quite normal for printers to not communicate with the routers - the usual communications are PC to printer - and any arp table entries would be flushed because of a lack of use.

So - now it's time to get out your Minolta manual and start reading - does it require you to enable the network port, does it require you to set an ip address, is the cable you used good, are you getting link LEDs on both the printer and the router?
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:41 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

goat455 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to connect a network printer to Netgear router?

Thanks for the response...it's a little clearer now how it all should work. I'll read the manual and hopefully make some sense of it all. Thanks again. Will