Old March 29th, 2008, 08:00 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

omenworker is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR3300 - Dual Band, no N only G

Hello all, I'm a bit of a noob to the wireless world. I had to buy a new router after my roommates linksys crapped out, and I had read some good reviews about this router.

I've set it up and things seem to be working well with only one exception. I set up to have both N and G signals, yet only G level is available in my network list. I have two machines in my house that are N, but can only see the G network.

Here are my settings:

SSID (11N): something1
SSID (11G): something2

Mode: up to 270mbps at 5Ghz & 54mbps at 2.4GHz

Channels: 36(n) / 3(g)

it is a secure network, and there are no other devices in the house that operate on 5Ghz. I've tried other channels, etc. all the basic troubleshooting options.

unfortunately the only network that can be seen be my N machines is "something2" (G network)??

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here? Why can I not see the N?

I did try changing the mode to only 270mbps at 2.4Ghz, and that didn't work. the network was in the list, but it wouldnt connect?

any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
Old March 29th, 2008, 08:36 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WNDR3300 - Dual Band, no N only G

wrong area
Moving to rangemax next router
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:17 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

georule is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by omenworker View Post
Hello all, I'm a bit of a noob to the wireless world. I had to buy a new router after my roommates linksys crapped out, and I had read some good reviews about this router.

I've set it up and things seem to be working well with only one exception. I set up to have both N and G signals, yet only G level is available in my network list. I have two machines in my house that are N, but can only see the G network.

Here are my settings:

SSID (11N): something1
SSID (11G): something2

Mode: up to 270mbps at 5Ghz & 54mbps at 2.4GHz

Channels: 36(n) / 3(g)

it is a secure network, and there are no other devices in the house that operate on 5Ghz. I've tried other channels, etc. all the basic troubleshooting options.

unfortunately the only network that can be seen be my N machines is "something2" (G network)??

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here? Why can I not see the N?

I did try changing the mode to only 270mbps at 2.4Ghz, and that didn't work. the network was in the list, but it wouldnt connect?

any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the network adapters on your two "n machines" are 2.4GHz only. But that's just a guess for now. . .if you tell us the make/model of your wireless network adapters on those two machines we can confirm/reject that theory.
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:05 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

omenworker is on a distinguished road

OK well that is indeed the case with my desktop adapter. Its a Buffalo model that is 2.4. I cannot speak for my roommates laptop at this time.

So then I changed the mode to 270mbps @ 2.4, and still no dice. Once connected (by desktop adapter) it only lasted 2 seconds and then internet was gone. It said i was still connected at 270 and excellent, but no internet.

When I connected to it with my laptop (G), it would say excellent signal, but only 1.0 mbps?

I've now set it back to 270/5 and 54/2.4, but this doesn't seem ideal?

Any thoughts?
Old April 1st, 2008, 04:08 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

georule is on a distinguished road

On the Qos Setup page. .. try unchecking the Enable WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia Settings) near the top and see if that helps. That was a big one for me for getting decent (but not 802.11n speeds) internet performance. Even on the .n band I got 54mbps connect speeds when I did that. But at least the internet worked nice.