Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Enterprise/Business Products > Firewall / VPN Devices > VPN Routers

Old January 11th, 2007, 09:36 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jguenrdc is on a distinguished road
Default VPN throughput question

I was looking at the VPN specs and I have a question. The FVS338 (for example) specs say "up to 60 Mbps for 3DES throughput". Does this mean that if I only use one tunnel, I could get up to 60 Mbps (if my internet connection is that fast), or does this mean that each of the 50 possible tunnels can only get up to 60/50 = 1.2 Mbps?

Jay
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

KWheelerAZ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: VPN throughput question

I would refer to this first: http://www.netgear.nl/catalogus/cata..._RefGuide1.pdf
The VPN throughput is typically measured on a single tunnel basis. So if you bring up all 50 tunnels it would be 60Mbps/50=1.2Mbps. But remember unless you're connecting this to a DS-3 at 45Mbps you won't have anywhere close to 60Mbps on the Internet port anyway.

But that's just my 2 cents worth . . .
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:38 PM
NETGEAR User

Jeff Fulton is on a distinguished road

And remember that it's usually the slowest part of the connection that controls the speed. So if you're connecting a pair of 1500/512 dsl services, the maximum vpn throughput will be 512 kbps.
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:30 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jguenrdc is on a distinguished road

Thaks for the replies. I realize the internet connection is a limiting factor, but to simplify the question I was ignoring that. I should have worded my question a little differently: If I am only using one VPN connection, is the max throughput 60 Mbps or 1.2 Mbps (=60/50)? I ended up calling tech support after I posted the original question, and they said the same as you: If I'm only using one VPN, the max is 60 Mbps.

Jay