Old May 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

FCazabon is on a distinguished road
Default How to configure Router for my Network?

Hi,

I've just got the WGR614 and installed it successfully by plugging one PC into the Router. Now I want to allow all other PCs on my wired network to access the Internet through this router. Currently I have a domain with Windows Server 2000 on my server configured as a DHCP server (I think that is the correct term, but am not a networking guy). I have a few other PCs all plugged into a switch. I took this one PC off the switch and plugged it into the router.

I tried simply putting a network cable from the router to the switch, which allows me to access the internet from my other PCs, but I can no longer access any file shares on my network.

I deally, what I would like to do is take the cable that currently connects my one PC to the router, and plug the router directly into my switch and this PC into my switch. Of course I'd like to be able to access my shares as well.

Can anybody give me some guidance on how to do this, please?

Thanks
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:45 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to configure Router for my Network?

If your W2K server is acting as Domain Controller - it probably handles DHCP & DNS server tasks as well - you have a couple of different choices - and if you are not a networking guy, you might want to get hold of whoever set the server up to deal with the changes.

1) You can leave the WGR614 in it's default configuration and change the W2K server settings to co-exist with it - essentially this requires setting the W2K server's network adapter to a suitable ip address (if necessary) and disabling its DHCP & DNS servers.

2) You can configure the WGR614 to work as a router only and leave the W2K server to handle DHCP & DNS - this I feel is the preferred approach.

This requires the WGR614's internal interface to be set at an appropriate ip address and it's DHCP server disabled, and the W2K server must now have it's default gateway set to point to the WGR614 and it's DHCP server configured to pass out default gateway settings to the clients.

I know these instructions do not provide sufficient detail for you to accomplish the task, there is no way we can provide step by step guidance without an intimate knowledge of your W2K server configuration.
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:51 PM
NETGEAR Expert

hansn is on a distinguished road

Take care, that your router has an unique lan-ip, which does not
collide with existing ip-addresses, especially not with the server lan-ip.
Disable lan-dhcp on the router, because you said dhcp is already provided by your server.
Now you can connect the router and all pcs to the switch;
your shares should work now too.

On your server enter in the netcard-settings the routers lan-ip as the gateway-ip-address and dns-server-address too.

Check, if your server can access internet now.

For the pcs, now it depends, if your server/domain is dns-server or not;
this should better be configured by your network-admin...

Hans N.
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:55 PM
NETGEAR Expert

hansn is on a distinguished road

Fordem was faster than I, and he explained it absolutely correctly!
It's dangerous configuring your sever/domain without skilled knowledge
of the things going on.

Be very careful!

Hans N.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:33 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for your replies Hans and fordem.

I think to start off with I'll go the easy route of setting DHCP and DNS off from my server and setting its IP address to within the range of the Router's. Then I'll get a networking person in to help configure it properly where my server is the dhcp server.

If you could provide some idea of how to disable its DHCP & DNS servers I'd really appreciate it.

<googling how to disable them right now>

Frank
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:53 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCazabon View Post
Thanks for your replies Hans and fordem.

I think to start off with I'll go the easy route of setting DHCP and DNS off from my server and setting its IP address to within the range of the Router's. Then I'll get a networking person in to help configure it properly where my server is the dhcp server.

If you could provide some idea of how to disable its DHCP & DNS servers I'd really appreciate it.

<googling how to disable them right now>

Frank
you may/can stop services for both in W2K
control panel>admin tool>services

or add/remove program>windows program> uninstall DHCP and DNS server.

you may want to consult local network admin guys to see what is your best setup before pursuing your needs
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:06 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks! I ran services.msc and stopped both services. All seems well for now.

If I was to switch off the DHCP server on the router and enable it again on my server, where would I set the IP address of the router so that it conforms with my network's IP range?
Old July 14th, 2008, 04:12 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Sterling is on a distinguished road

My relative's Dell Dimension 2400 (of around August 2004 vintage) had the hard drive replaced with that from her earlier Dimension 2350 that had experianced a hardware failure. Following that the 2400 had the correct hardware and chipset drivers, etc., installed and the 2400 became her functional computer. That was in August 2007. Since that time the 2400 has not been connected to the internet. The earlier Dell 2350 had last been used with Comcast broadband internet so the earlier settings were still present on that hard drive.

That family member just moved to a new apartment and had Comcast cable and broadband installed yesterday. I have a never-used WGR614 that I brought by and gave to this relative. The Comcast installer used the WGR614 to connect a wireless laptop to the internet. The Comcast installer left before the Dell 2400 had been set up in the next room.

I wired the Dell 2400 to the WGR614 with a Cat 5 cable of 25' but the internet connection to that computer could not be established. The Netgear software CD did not get beyond the wait screen even though the Windows XP firewall had been disabled. The Windows XP network configuration utility, accessed through the Control Panel, does not seem to work on the automatic settings but does show the correct earlier username as it was carried over on the hard drive from the earlier Dell 2350 configuration.

I removed the WGR614 from the Comcast modem and connected the 2400 directly to the modem but there was still no internet connection. Without the WGR614 in place the wireless laptop cannot connect to the internet.

So, this comes down to a configuration problem with the Dell 2400. I have only a vague recollection as to how that configuration process went some years ago. At that time a wired Trend router was used--it worked very well by just plugging it in. That Trend router was still available but it is a wired-only model so it does not support the wireless laptop computer. I substituted the old Trend router for the WGR614 but still had no internet connection for the Dell 2400. This was another dead-end.

I reconnected the WGR614 to reestablish the wireless connection for the laptop. Then it was time for me to leave.

Later, on the phone, I attempted to walk my relative through the log in procedure for the router through the http://www.routerlogin.net routine, but my relative reported that her carefully typed-in address suddenly changed to something else before she could press ENTER. This happened with several attempts. The 2400 configuration cannot be entered in that manner. This was another dead-end.

Then I walked my relative through removing the WGR614 and again connecting the Dell 2400 directly to the Comcast modem. Following that I advised her to call Comcast Customer Service so they might walk her through configuring the Dell 2400 directly to their modem without the router. (My reasoning was that once the 2400 could be sucessfully configured and connected to the internet the WGR614 could be put back into the mix and my relative would have her internet connection.) Comcast said that they don't know how to configure a Dell computer so she should call Dell. As the Dell is long out of warranty I can see them attempting to sign her up to an expensive service contract that she doesn't need. That's where the situation stands. Might the next step to purchase some type of wireless adapter for the 2400? Or, would the same 2400 configuration problem still be present? I don't know what to do next.

I'm hoping that someone may provide the missing pieces here or point me to the right information to get my relative on the internet. I would be most appreciative.
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:43 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

For starters - after swapping the hard drives from one system to another, the next step should have been a full reinstall of the operating system - as the situation stands, you have no idea of where to start looking for the problem.

I suggest you start with the ethernet connection. Is it enabled, is it functional, is it configured correctly? If you can't ping the router (assuming it is connected) then you need to find out why and fix it.

Without a functioning network connection you will have no means of connecting to a broadband network.
Old July 14th, 2008, 11:23 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Sterling is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordem View Post
For starters - after swapping the hard drives from one system to another, the next step should have been a full reinstall of the operating system - as the situation stands, you have no idea of where to start looking for the problem.

I suggest you start with the ethernet connection. Is it enabled, is it functional, is it configured correctly? If you can't ping the router (assuming it is connected) then you need to find out why and fix it.

Without a functioning network connection you will have no means of connecting to a broadband network.
Fordem,

Thank you for your advice. I located the Dell Windows XP (SP-2) restore CD and the Resource CD that originally came with the Dell 2400. I also located another Cat 5 cable in the event that it might be the problem.

The Dell 2400 was originally in use in my household but later given to my relative after installing her original Dell 2350 hard drive in the 2400, thus preserving for her the files and original programs she had installed. She no longer has some of the original CDs for some of her programs. It seems to me that after I installed the various 2400 drivers from the Dell Resource CD I was able to get the 2400 online with Comcast through my (wired) home network. Her first name was the computer's name and something like "home workgroup" was another designation. Then I delivered and set up the 2400 for her. She had no internet service at that time (August 2007). I just assumed that the 2400 was ready for internet service whenever she would sign up for it in the future.

Is "ping the router" the same process as the "http://www.routerlogin.net" that was attempted before?

I just spoke with my relative. She reports that she spoke with another Comcast rep that had her look for her IP address and none was found. They also looked for Windows Security Update KB951748 but it was not found. The Comcast rep said another more experienced rep would call her today to attempt to walk her through the problem. Of course they will probably not help her if the WGR614 is between the Comcast modem and her Dell as Comcast doesn't support non-Comcast hardware, but they do have an interest in having her able to connect to their internet service--she's the one paying the bill. (The wireless laptop that did connect through the WGR614 is owned by a friend of the family.)

Based upon what happens with that Comcast rep I am readying myself for another visit and burning her files, photos and music to discs and then a full restoration of Windows XP from the original Dell XP CD--I think it reformats the hard drive--and subsequent installation from the original Dell Resource CD of chipset, integrated network adapter, video and audio and a number of other items (and then new program installations--whew). As you might realize I am not too technically inclined.

If all this is accomplished might the internet connection be enabled with the WGR614 in place through the Netgear CD software or selecting the automatic configuration process through Windows?

Any further thoughts or advice will also be greatly appreciated.