Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Range Extenders & Repeaters

Old May 13th, 2008, 06:38 AM
NETGEAR User

siradlib is on a distinguished road
Default WG602v3: transmit power rate?

Hi to everybody,

what is the standard tx (transmit) power rate of a WG602v3?
What tx power rate should I use maximum, from hardware´s perspective?
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:43 AM
NETGEAR Addict

GLaDOS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WG602v3: transmit power rate?

I would assume that you would want the best performance from the unit, so maximum transmit power is probably the best option.

"Stop squirming and die like an adult, or I'm going to delete your backup. STOP! Okay, enough, I deleted it. No matter what happens now, you're dead. You're still shuffling around a little, but believe me, you're dead. The part of you that could have survived indefinitely is gone. I just struck you from the permanent record."
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:04 AM
NETGEAR User

Hi GlaDOS,

sure, you are right- but can you give me number (tx power in milliwatts)?
I´m poking around with alternative firmare (dd-wrt) and I don´t want to burn the amplifier inside the WG602v3. Is a power of 80mW too much? (70mW seems to be standard value)
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:20 AM
NETGEAR Addict

What you can do, since there is really no way of getting this information from netgear is to go to the FCC Website. Do a search of the FCC ID on the bottom of the unit, and view the request form that was sent in by netgear, and the FCC tester. This should give an appropriate value for the transmit power, although I don't know what value it's at mW kW etc...

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...ledFromFrame=N

All you need to do is enter the first 3 digits of the FCC ID on the wireless device in the first field, and the rest of the ID in the second field. It should pull up a list of matching devices, and there's a printable form of the request from netgear to the FCC. You can scroll down on this form to see the transmit power as recorded by official testing for FCC Compliance.

"Stop squirming and die like an adult, or I'm going to delete your backup. STOP! Okay, enough, I deleted it. No matter what happens now, you're dead. You're still shuffling around a little, but believe me, you're dead. The part of you that could have survived indefinitely is gone. I just struck you from the permanent record."
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:32 AM
NETGEAR User

Whew!
Good point, I´ll give this a try! Thanks a lot!
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:42 AM
NETGEAR User

Umm... Bad luck. I forced myself to read long lines of boring test setup procedures, but every environmental test was done at a certain distance from the WG602v3´s antenna.
For me, this makes it impossible to get the tx power the internal amplifier is capable to do... I´m not too in with physics!
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:10 PM
NETGEAR Addict

There should be just one line that states the results min max frequency range, and output power. But because it uses multiple antenna's there may be alot of information, I dunno. Give me the fcc id off the unit, i'll see what I can find in the report.

Old May 15th, 2008, 02:02 AM
NETGEAR User

Hi GalDOS,

thanks a lot for your helpfullness! I greatly appreciate that.
FCC ID of a WG602v3 is: PY3WG602V3

I asked Netgear support already about that, but got only back that "the device confirms to the declarations of IEEE"- no numbers.
However, in another forum: http://www.wireless-forum.ch/forum/v...=635&start=149
somebody got from support, that WG602v1 and WG602v2 would be sending with 100mW. (Sorry, this is written in German, hopefully you can get it.)
Also, product features for WG302 here http://www.netgear.com/Products/APsW...Specifications
state that WG302 has "transmit power control 100 mW down to 0 mW".

Can anybody confirm if those 100 mW are a kind of "standard"?
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:44 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Take a look at this.

The maximum power delivered to the antenna appears to be <59 mW.

In my experience a lot of access points have a maximum output of 100 mW, but I have also come across 30 mW and 200 mW, so I don't think there is a 100 mW standard - what may be worth bearing in mind is that the device operates in the "license free" 2.4 GHz ISM band and that there is a limit to the ERP - effective radiated power (essentially the output power multiplied by the antenna gain, minus system losses - cable attenuation, etc.) which may be used without a license.
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:19 PM
NETGEAR User

Good point, fordem!
But if I got that correctly, the output power for a WG602v3 is normally between 42-59 mW, or at least it was when the test was done. This doesn´t say anything about the maximum power the amplifier is capable of... and is way beyond the 100mW the user at the swiss forum is talking about. (But this source of knowledge is uncertain, and it states only the WG602v1 and v2.)

Ummm... Does anybody know the type/brand of amplifier inside a WG602v3? If I can get a data sheet of it, this would be a good source for "educated guesses", I hope.