Old May 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

The_Nomad is on a distinguished road
Default WNDA3100 Driver issues?

I picked up a WNDA3100 wireless adapter for my HP Pavilion dv6000 notebook the other day because at work the wireless routers use 802.11a and my installed adapter only supports 802.11b/g.

On first install using the supplied disk, I had no problem detecting the network and connecting to it.

When I re-started my notebook I could no longer detect the 802.11a network from my employer, but all the other networks in the area were still found by both of my adapters (802.11g).

I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and it detected the 802.11a network again just fine.

I downloaded the latest drivers and when I had to reinstall again I used them instead of the disk. I still have the same problem. Everytime I restart my computer I have to reinstall the drivers or else it will not find the 802.11a network. I also use Vista with 64 bit, maybe that's why...

Any ideas?
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WNDA3100 Driver issues?

these kinda questions answered on support page
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WNDA3100.asp
http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d103250.asp
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:32 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hanif is on a distinguished road

Try to disable the on board 802.11b/g adapter and then check if you still face the same issue as before.
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:55 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

The_Nomad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanif View Post
Try to disable the on board 802.11b/g adapter and then check if you still face the same issue as before.
Thanks, I didn't think of that. I'll give it a try when I can find the time. It suddenly got real busy at work and I don't have time to play on the laptop right now. Hopefully I'll find out soon.
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

georule is on a distinguished road

In case no one noticed, there are new drivers for WNDA3100 this week.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d103305.asp
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:29 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

lmfs is on a distinguished road

Yes, but the drivers - or rather the Netgear part of the drivers - are very picky and sensitive when you install and configure them. If you change the configuration (as described above) you can very well end up without a working connection and unable to recreate it without reinstalling. This happens with 1.2 and 1.3 (initially mislabeled as 1.4). The drivers also affect the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration so if you later change to that, you problably won't be able to use WPA2 and non-SSID broadcasting routers (the "extra" drivers (Jumpstart Wireless and Wireless Intermediate) plus services) somehow block these configuration steps for Windows.

I extract the Atheros drivers from the Netgear installation package and manually install them and then let Windows manage the configuration. To avoid the "extras" and troubles. I do not say this is the best way to go, but it works for me and I'm a bit picky about 15MB installation packages which in reality installs 3 driver files at about 400KB.

[Also, the WNDA3100 drivers are still far from optimized. Connect to a 2.4GHz router at N-speeds (130/145/270/300) and copy a 100MB+ file over the link while watching the physical connection speed and transfer rate. The physical connection speed will jump up and down and the transfer rate fluctuate between 0%-~35% utilization.]
Old June 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Icemat is on a distinguished road

I post here because Support doesn`t seem to have an idea how to help me.
My WNDA3100 drops connection a lot, when i ping my router i usually get 1ms response-time but every 20-30th ping it raises to ~3000ms or completeley gets lost.
new drivers didn`t help.

Support adivces me to use another computer or to use a reg-cleaner or disable my firewall and my encryption---wtf?
This dongle simply has to do its work, program a good driver!!!
Old June 7th, 2008, 01:42 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

lmfs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemat View Post
I post here because Support doesn`t seem to have an idea how to help me.
My WNDA3100 drops connection a lot, when i ping my router i usually get 1ms response-time but every 20-30th ping it raises to ~3000ms or completeley gets lost.

new drivers didn`t help.
Well, I normally wouldn't say this... But the latest dongles/usb-sticks based on the Atheros AR9001U chipset are a disappointment, considering the current state of the drivers. It's not a Netgear thing, all (as far as I know) AR9001U based solutions are using the same drivers from Atheros.

Netgear, D-Link, TP-Link, etc. has the same drivers. Netgear and D-Link are exactly the same (look inside the .inf file from Netgear and D-Link...). And yes, I have tested them myself and they don't work very well at the moment and you will run into trouble if you're unlucky.

If you are looking for a good, stable implementation and want it now (not waiting for the drivers to improve) I would recommend you to look elsewhere - at least until the drivers for AR9001U based solutions have stabilized/matured.
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:21 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Tobi79 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

i'm from germany and i bought the WNDA3100 2 days ago. I use Vista 64 and the latest drivers (1.3) from the Netgear page. At this time I use the stick with a Fritzbox 7050 at 54Mbit (WPA). Onlinegaming is not possible because the ping fluctuating between 14-300ms every second. On 2 Windows XP (32Bit) PCs it is constantly beetween 13-16ms (like wired). I orded a wndr3300 but I don't think that would be help to solute my Vista 64 ping problem.
Is it possible that comes a new driver in the next weeks?

Thanks
Tobias
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi79 View Post
Hello,

i'm from germany and i bought the WNDA3100 2 days ago. I use Vista 64 and the latest drivers (1.3) from the Netgear page. At this time I use the stick with a Fritzbox 7050 at 54Mbit (WPA). Onlinegaming is not possible because the ping fluctuating between 14-300ms every second. On 2 Windows XP (32Bit) PCs it is constantly beetween 13-16ms (like wired). I orded a wndr3300 but I don't think that would be help to solute my Vista 64 ping problem.
Is it possible that comes a new driver in the next weeks?

Thanks
Tobias
not sure why you want to use Draft-N adapter on old 54Mbps.. Fritzbox
http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZB...LAN/index.html

I would get something like 54Mbps wireless adapter instead..