Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wired Networking Products for SOHO Applications > Wired Routers & Modem Gateways

Old January 14th, 2007, 07:07 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

stevebo is on a distinguished road
Default Can't connect to one website, can connect to others ...

Here's a problem to test the most network/router savvy people out there.

Connection is as follows: PC to Netgear WPN824 router which is connected to a Comcast cable modem.

Problem: Can connect to all websites, except one - my personal website that's being hosted by earthlink.net.

History: Was using another Netgear router for the past two years and was able to view all websites from the same PC using the same cable modem. Until yesterday. suddenly when attempting to retrieve email Outlook said the server couldn't be reached. So I tried launching IE to see if I could see my site. I couldn't. I could see any other site I attempted to view, just not my own site (www.stevechannel.com).

What I attempted: unplugged the cable modem, unplugged the router, powered down the PC. after a couple of minutes, powered up the cable modem and let it settle down, powered up the router and let it come up, then turned on the PC. Still no www.stevechannel.com, but every other site was viewable. I then tried to Ping the website but it couldn't be reached as though the DNS couldn't resolve the name. Tried traceroute and it too failed as though there was no such website.

Next pass: Unplugged the PC's ethernet cable from the router and plugged it directly in to the cable modem - voila! I can see www.stevechannel.com. Reset everything again (by powering down except this time I hit the reset button on the router for 30 seconds) reconnected the cables as before, brought everything up in the proper order and.... no www.stevechannel.com.

called the hosting company (Earthlink) and since they could see it fine and the site could be seen by connecting directly to the cable modem, they said the problem was with the router. same story from Comcast.

So today I buy a brand new router (Netgear WPN824), hook it up correctly, and the same problem occurs. can't reach www.stevechannel.com but can see everything else. ping and traceroute to the site wouldn't work either.

Next step: I also have DSL in the house, so I decided to hook up the router to the DSL modem. Can I see www.stevechannel.com in this configuration? YES, I sure can. can ping and traceroute it too.

So question is what the heck is going on here? The router works fine for DSL, but can't see my personal site at www.stevechannel.com when connecting the router to the cable modem. Comcast claims it has to be the router since I can hook up the PC directly to the cable modem and see my website. I tell them that I don't think it's two different routers that are having the same problem and besides, when I hook the router up to the DSL modem I can see the website just fine. They say to contact Netgear to get it resolved and that's where it stands. The main thing is why just one website and that website happens to be mine? how can this be?

stevebo (crazy in Denver)
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:11 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: Can't connect to one website, can connect to others ...

OK, so I've tried a couple new things and hopefully the netgear folks are reading this:

1. used fixed DNS addresses in my netgear router configuration to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 (thanks Tim for the info) - these are public DNS addresses.

2. was able to successfully log in to my website.

3. switched the netgear router DNS back to automatically retrieve DNS addresses.

4. tried again to view my website and it was successful. closed all browser instances and Outlook and restarted them. could still see my website and get email successfully.

5. restarted the computer, could NOT see the website or get email correctly.

6. retried everything and did a release then a renew in ipconfig and it once again it wouldn't see my website on the internet. my assumption is that restarting the computer basically caused the configuration to be released and renewed which is why it wouldn't work again.

7. put in the public DNS addresses and it worked again so I put the netgear DNS settings back to automatic and it continues to work. I guess if I never power down the computer or do an ipconfig renew, it will continue to work but this is a lame process to get things to work.

Any ideas Netgear folks? why is this happening? I'm ready to go buy another router and see if it will do it with Linksys since buying the new Netgear router didn't fix the problem.

I've also tried DNS flushing on my local PC but from what I can tell, it means nothing since the router is handling the DNS info.

stevebo
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:40 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Sorry to be replying to my own posts but no one else seems to so I thought I'd add some more info. I connect to the Internet via a Comcast cable modem (please look at the initial posting at the beginning of this thread).

I looked at the router status to see what the DNS addresses were that were being supplied by Comcast and clicked on "Use these DNS servers" instead of automatically retrieving DNS server info and entered in the DNS addresses the router status showed as receiving from Comcast.

I was then able to connect to my website just fine.

To me, this implies that something is going on in the router where it is not using the DNS addresses automatically supplied by Comcast when doing a DNS lookup, and for some strange reason thinks that of all the websites on the Internet, only mine can't be resolved and causes a can't find server page to be displayed. I thought the router had some internal info for retrieving an IP address for a domain name and when it couldn't find it, would try using the DNS info supplied by Comcast. obviously this isn't occurring if I can manually put the same numbers supplied to the router by Comcast in manually and then it works correctly.

Does this additional info point to a possible workaround or provide some info for solving this problem? Anybody out there got any ideas?

stevebo
Old January 18th, 2007, 03:38 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Well, after about 15 hours of troubleshooting and another two hours on the phone with Comcast yesterday, it looks like I've somewhat solved the problem. I bought another router from another vendor and hooked it up and found no problems at all. The netgear product worked fine with the DSL modem, but would not work with the cable modem when attempting to connect to my hosted website and the incoming mail server associated with the website. Of course I couldn't live with that problem, so it looks like it took buying another vendor's router to fix the problems since netgear said it was Comcast's fault, and Comcast said it was netgear's problem. Turned out it was my problem and I fixed it. Just bought the other router and it works fine.
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:16 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

rpraveenkeshav is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Can't connect to one website, can connect to others ...

hi steve,
if you logon to the netgear router configuration page 192.168.1.1
there is a link called WAN setup below Advanced. under tat option there is an option called MTU size which comes up reduce the mtu from 1500 to 1350 and apply. powercycled the router and try to access your website again. am pretty darned sure it will work
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Nope, reducing the MTU size didn't do anything. The router fails to see my website, but only from within my network. Outside of the network I don't have any problems. If I use my DSL connection it works OK too. Just not the cable modem.

thanks,

steve