Old May 31st, 2008, 01:21 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

vexille is on a distinguished road
Default "Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection"

I run Mac OS X 10.5 and have a DG834G v2 router. I have been struggling for days to get the port used by my Bittorrent app, Transmission, to be open rather than stealth.

First off I tried having transmission open the port itself through UPnP which it should be able to do as my router is supposedly UPNP compatible. Needless to say it failed so I set up manual port forwarding but it didn't seem to do anything at all and checking whether they were open with canyouseeme.org said they were now closed rather than stealthed as did Transmission which seemed to be a worser state of affairs.

I then stumbled accross the menu option in the title and ticked the box. Then checked transmission again. It now seemed to be showing the port as open, but only if I checked the box to use UPnP.

However I was under the impression that ticking the "Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection" is effectively disabling the firewall which isn't really what I want to do. Is it safe to leave the box ticked? If not what's the solution to my problem as it seems to me that whatever port forwarding instructions I set up on the router make no difference to what traffic is actually able to come in and if anything makes it worse according to canyouseeme.org.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:59 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection"

what is the struggle?

common on torrent is high concurrent connection will halt the unit. try use lower than 100

some router will say "spi" and some are "Port scan & Dos" . NAT is still there so you should be fine.
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:05 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

vexille is on a distinguished road

Thanks.

Have now capped max global connections to 100.

What is NAT and where can I find it in my router settings? Am now assuming that it is safe to disable port scan and dos protection...
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:11 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexille View Post
Thanks.

Have now capped max global connections to 100.

What is NAT and where can I find it in my router settings? Am now assuming that it is safe to disable port scan and dos protection...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network...ss_translation

you don't change NAT