Old July 1st, 2008, 05:15 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

assettechnologies is on a distinguished road
Default FVS338 VPN throughput problem

I have seen others complain about this but no solutions. Is there any way to address the following problem?

I have two brand new FVS338 VPN routers set up with a gateway-gateway VPN connection. We have a 15/15Mbps connection between them. TCP Stacks on both sides are properly optimized. Firmware upgraded to most recent (fvs338_3_0_3_13_18.img)

I can move a single file between the routers outside the VPN (via FTP) at full speed (15Mbps). When pulling the same file via the VPN I get about 3.5Mbps. Interestingly if I pull four copies of the same file simultaneously via the VPN they all get through in the same time as the single file, thus effectively moving data at 14Mbps.

Why can it not move a single file at full speed? Is there some intentional throttle that I can configure out?

Thanks for any help
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:23 AM
NETGEAR Prophet

beisser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: FVS338 VPN throughput problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by assettechnologies View Post
I have seen others complain about this but no solutions. Is there any way to address the following problem?

I have two brand new FVS338 VPN routers set up with a gateway-gateway VPN connection. We have a 15/15Mbps connection between them. TCP Stacks on both sides are properly optimized. Firmware upgraded to most recent (fvs338_3_0_3_13_18.img)

I can move a single file between the routers outside the VPN (via FTP) at full speed (15Mbps). When pulling the same file via the VPN I get about 3.5Mbps. Interestingly if I pull four copies of the same file simultaneously via the VPN they all get through in the same time as the single file, thus effectively moving data at 14Mbps.

Why can it not move a single file at full speed? Is there some intentional throttle that I can configure out?

Thanks for any help
i fear there is not much you cant do (besides opening a supportcase with netgear and letting them investigate).
How to contact Techsupport online!
IPSEC-VPN, Tips and Tricks and Howto's
How to get proper access to the Enterprise-Forum!

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

EVA1: EVA9000 -> 32" Samsung LCD
EVA2: EVAx000 -> 32" Samsung LCD
NAS: ReadyNAS Pro RNDP6610
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:39 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I did that, but the tech i got didn't seem particularly knowledgable (i.e. I'm not sure I ever even succesfully communicated the information I described in my post). I have seen others complaining about the same situation, and I have a very vanilla setup. I was hoping someone could share whatever fix they discovered... if in fact there is one...

NetGear's own docs profess 50Mbps through the VPN on this unit (document ID: BPVPNFAMILYv10705 - not sure how to attach it to this post), so it seems they should be interested in the problem.

My thanks to anyone who has any info.
Old July 1st, 2008, 06:26 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I did that, but the tech i got didn't seem particularly knowledgable (i.e. I'm not sure I ever even succesfully communicated the information I described in my post). I have seen others complaining about the same situation, and I have a very vanilla setup. I was hoping someone could share whatever fix they discovered... if in fact there is one...

NetGear's own docs profess 50Mbps through the VPN on this unit (document ID: BPVPNFAMILYv10705 - not sure how to attach it to this post), so it seems they should be interested in the problem.

My thanks to anyone who has any info.
this the pdf shows spec

http://vpncasestudy.com/download/pdf..._RefGuide1.pdf
Old July 1st, 2008, 06:35 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

jchri9 is on a distinguished road

The web site shows:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/VPNa...Specifications

Performance Features

Throughput: LAN-to-WAN: up to 75 Mbps 3DES IPsec tunnel: Up to 19 Mbps

When going through the VPN tunnel are you using FTP, CIFS, or some other means?
Old July 1st, 2008, 06:36 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

That's the one!

So as a customer of NetGear who picked your product because of that spec, and yet is only getting 3.5Mbps through the VPN in a vanilla configuration (and can show that 15Mbps is available to the routers - either by transferring outside the VPN or by multi-file transfer through the VPN), shouldn't this be a legitimate issue to pursue?

Is anybody getting the VPN throughput advertised? If we can't get it through the 338's we can't use them, but I would much prefer to figure this out and keep them, and have a solution available to other folks in the same boat.

Thanks again for helping out.
Old July 1st, 2008, 06:39 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I have XP Pro SP2 running on the two machines transferring the file. One machine shares a drive, the other maps to it via internal IP. The file is than copied to a local drive.

Are there alternatives that allow me to still have a drive mapped?
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:13 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

jchri9 is on a distinguished road

FTP has so low overhead. I am curious what you get with a simple FTP transfer.
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:35 AM
NETGEAR Prophet

Quote:
That's the one!

So as a customer of NetGear who picked your product because of that spec, and yet is only getting 3.5Mbps through the VPN in a vanilla configuration (and can show that 15Mbps is available to the routers - either by transferring outside the VPN or by multi-file transfer through the VPN), shouldn't this be a legitimate issue to pursue?

Is anybody getting the VPN throughput advertised? If we can't get it through the 338's we can't use them, but I would much prefer to figure this out and keep them, and have a solution available to other folks in the same boat.

Thanks again for helping out.
does it say anywhere that you get the advertised speed with a single stream? no it doesnt. does it say that you even get it with one tunnel? no. what it does say is that the hwardware is capable of up to 19 mbit ipsec-throughput. UP TO. it doesnt say anywhere how to achieve it. and you have proven that he hardware keeps its promise by transferring multiple files.

that beeing said. i would strongly advise to call netgear and tell them your story. only contacting techsupport can change anything. only ranting on this forum will not yield and suable results as this forum is rarely monitored by engineers.

i would tell them to have engineering investigate why its only possible to get max speed using multiple streams but not using one stream and if it can be changed.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Old July 1st, 2008, 07:37 AM
NETGEAR Prophet

an alternative (a pretty good one) is iperf:

http://www.noc.ucf.edu/Tools/Iperf/

this tool measures raw tcp throughput without any regards to protocols. you dont have any overhead using this. just do the following:

pc1:

iperf -s -w128k

pc2:

iperf -c ipofpc1 -w128k -i1 -t60

this will do a 60 sec benchmark.

edit: and with iperf -c ipofpc1 -w128k -i1 -t60 -P4 you do the same benchmark with 4 threads.

Last edited by beisser; July 1st, 2008 at 07:45 AM.