Old July 5th, 2008, 08:57 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Cyberdrool is on a distinguished road
Angry WG111v3 "connected" but no communication

G'day
I purchased my WG111 to link with my iPaq 112 classic PDA (WM6) from my HTPC (XP s1, P4 3Ghz) which currently only has a pc 2 pc wired link.
The project is to use the PDA as a remote for my HTPC using the software Netremote & girder.
Internet on PDA is not required but would be nice.

I've tried:
Enable /disable security.
Correct passwords /keys
Various modes.
Resetting /booting PDA etc.
Disconnecting HTPC cat6...
Enable internet sharing on PDA /PC etc.
Set to static IP on either /both /other.
Install /setup on other PC (XP s2) wired to a Linux box /8p switch, DSL-300(ADSL connection).

Currently Im using the Netremote (SW) as a send/receive test.
Also: PDA always says: "connecting" ...."connected" even if everything is off or miles any from house.

The WG111 gets fairly warm /hot. Blue light flashes away occasionally.
The Netgear interface shows "connected" with good signal but no IP is ever shown.
PDA & PC can ping each other.

Also tried uninstall, reboot, reinstall using the window install option from the netgear prompt (zero G??).

-----all of the above obviously useless------

Do I use static?
The static IP i've use was from the ipconfig/all (PC) & util from PDA while on dynamic. Or is this the right IP ?

Once I borrowed a USB BT adapter and work instantly, had internet on PDA without even trying.

This is my 1st WiFi install, aways avoided it in past as I heard nothing but problems, I can now see what they mean.
I've put in many hours on this now.
::::::::::::Should this be Soooooooo difficult?::::::::::::

Thanks for any help.
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:26 AM
NETGEAR Addict

GLaDOS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WG111v3 "connected" but no communication

Sounds like the problem is that who ever is doing it has no networking experience and thats why they have trouble.
Now, I've had little experience with an Ipaq so i don't know of any specific recommendations.
First make sure you have internet connection sharing turned off.
Second, do you have a router? Is your modem your router?
Do you have a wireless access point? Or were you trying to use the computer with the WG111 as an Access point? (if yes, DONT)
Please give a network diagram so I can better understand the setup of your network.

"Stop squirming and die like an adult, or I'm going to delete your backup. STOP! Okay, enough, I deleted it. No matter what happens now, you're dead. You're still shuffling around a little, but believe me, you're dead. The part of you that could have survived indefinitely is gone. I just struck you from the permanent record."
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:14 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hi.
There is no other WiFi gear (read above)
Forget about internet, I just want a PDA to PC link (for netremote)
PDA has it own WiFi.
Tried net sharing off /on ..all combination of.

My modem is a single PC connected to an old P2 setup as a linux box.
The linux box acts as a router, firewall, gateway.
Its 2nd nic is connected to an 8 port switch.
My 2 other PCs are all connected to this.
HTPC is con to my main PC.

aLSO: Tried on PDA "connect to internet" & "con.. to work"

P.S. as for my networking experience, yes I'm no guru but I set up my linux box and thats nothing to sneeze at! Beside.. this SHOULD NOT be this difficult.

Thanks again.
Old July 6th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

I assume you have two PC wired and WG111 is used on one PC which this will connect your PDA?

you need to setup adhoc setup on your WG111 utility
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:59 PM
NETGEAR Addict

You will probably need to set up adhoc from the computer with the adapter, to the ipaq. And setup static IP addresses for both.
Assuming the adhoc network is stable enough, you should not have any problems communicating with the ipaq.
But I would recommend a proper setup of using an Access point, and keeping everything on one network, instead of splitting everything up.

"Stop squirming and die like an adult, or I'm going to delete your backup. STOP! Okay, enough, I deleted it. No matter what happens now, you're dead. You're still shuffling around a little, but believe me, you're dead. The part of you that could have survived indefinitely is gone. I just struck you from the permanent record."
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:30 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yes, two PC wired and WG111 is used on one PC which this will connect your PDA.

Tried adhoc.
Tried Static, each, both.
..and combos of above.
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:57 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Also... as I mentioned in start of post..
The IP address in NOT appearing on the NetGear user interface.
(this is the space on the GUI when you disable "connected to internet" message.
* I think this is the main problem at this stage. eg: shows "__.__.__.__"

A mac is given.
IP's are shown in a dos screen eg: CMD/ ipconfig /all etc....
These are the IP's I give to the netremote host /clients to attempt link.
But anyhow, I believe the gui should then create an IP for the WiFi link ???.

Hope this helps..
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:23 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Yeah, see this is exactly why I'm saying you shouldn't set this up this way. You should get an access point. Because even after, if you do get the adhoc working, your software may not see the ipaq properly on the correct network, this is just going to get worse and worse.
But keep doing what ever you think you're doing, I've given you my recommendation, you can continue to pull your hair out if you like.

Old July 7th, 2008, 08:27 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

OK then, I looks like I might have to get (or exchange the WG111 for) a WG311 then set my HTPC up as an access point. So my PDA can "find" it.

No problemo, can do.

So what your saying is the WG111 should only be used with a WG311 card or ... say a DG834G ?

I dont realy want to pull down my existing network and update it since it works fine.
But it still seems strange that it wont add-hoc to my PDA.

BTW, this is my existing..

Legend: Cat5(|) Cat6(=)

[ADSL Modem]
|
|
[Nic1]
[Old PC/Linux box, (f-wall,router,gateway)]
[Nic2]
|
|
[8 port switch]--{
| |
[PC1] [PC2]===[HTPC]

Thanks again.
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:40 AM
NETGEAR Addict

I recommend using something like a WG102, connect it to your switch.
Since your linux box is handling the DHCP, and you don't have a 'normal' router situation. I'm not trying to complain about your setup, but it's the fact you're separating the ipaq device by using a second card. Which you don't need to do.
Is the HTPC connected to PC2? or to the switch?

Once you have the access point, and you get the ipaq on the same network as everything else, then you should be able to connect or do whatever you want with it via the network. And use the internet on the ipaq like you'd like.
You'd also be able to remove the cable from the HTPC, and put a wireless card in it (assuming you're in range.) and use the wireless for the communication for your HTPC. but that's up to you.

Also if you get a laptop or any other devices that has wireless, you'll now be able to your wireless for internet, or other network transfers.

Or

you could also get your linux system to work as an access point by installing a wireless card in it. But I have no idea how to set that up, so I wouldn't be able to help you there. hence a stand alone AP would be best. but a wireless card any where else would be pointless as you're doing extra natting, and making it just more difficult when you could set it up as I recommend, and it'll be up.

Last edited by GLaDOS; July 7th, 2008 at 08:43 AM. Reason: a thought about linux and acting as an AP came to my mind.