Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old August 8th, 2008, 12:17 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

SteveSussman is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR3300 as a wireless bridge?

Hello,

Forgive me if this is a noob question that has an obvious answer...

For reasons pointless to go into here, I replaced my WNDR3300 with a Linksys WRT600N as my router.

What I would like to do is configure the WNDR to be a client on the Linksys's wireless-N network and use it as a bridge to some wired-only boxes that are not close to a network drop and can't take on a Wireless NIC (like a DirecTV DVR box, just as an example).

Is it possible to use a WNDR in this way? (apart from reflashing it with DD-WRT which is a bit dangerous for me) I was doing this with an old WRT54G... until I fried it, that is...

Thanks in advance
SS
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:38 PM
NETGEAR Addict

GLaDOS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR3300 as a wireless bridge?

Ok, it's not a noob question, only noob answers. There's nothing wrong with asking questions.

Now, my question is, do you want to set it up as a bridge? or as a repeater? or as an Access point?

Bridge = Wired network, over a wireless connection, to another wired network.
For example, you have 3 computers on one side of a buidling, and 3 on the other side, that do not have wireless cards. But you want to utilize wireless to allow all computers to connect via a wire.
(No you can't with these two devices)

Repeater = Extending wireless range.
For example, you have computers on the other side of a building that can't hear the original Access point. So you add a repeater in the middle of the building to allow those to hear it.
(I don't remember if you can with this one. Highly doubtful.)

Access Point = Connecting a ethernet cable to allow the second device act as the wireless point of access.
Self explanatory.
(Yes, disable dhcp and connect an ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports. That should do it.)

I hope that answers your question.

"Stop squirming and die like an adult, or I'm going to delete your backup. STOP! Okay, enough, I deleted it. No matter what happens now, you're dead. You're still shuffling around a little, but believe me, you're dead. The part of you that could have survived indefinitely is gone. I just struck you from the permanent record."
Old August 8th, 2008, 06:18 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
Ok, it's not a noob question, only noob answers. There's nothing wrong with asking questions.

Now, my question is, do you want to set it up as a bridge? or as a repeater? or as an Access point?

Bridge = Wired network, over a wireless connection, to another wired network.
For example, you have 3 computers on one side of a buidling, and 3 on the other side, that do not have wireless cards. But you want to utilize wireless to allow all computers to connect via a wire.
(No you can't with these two devices)

Repeater = Extending wireless range.
For example, you have computers on the other side of a building that can't hear the original Access point. So you add a repeater in the middle of the building to allow those to hear it.
(I don't remember if you can with this one. Highly doubtful.)

Access Point = Connecting a ethernet cable to allow the second device act as the wireless point of access.
Self explanatory.
(Yes, disable dhcp and connect an ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports. That should do it.)

I hope that answers your question.
Thanks it does. I was hoping to use it as a bridge. DirecTV DVRs now require net connections to do PPV and VOD... but it does not have wifi and it's far from my router.

I guess I can wait for DD-WRT to get certified on the WNDR...

SS
Old August 9th, 2008, 08:29 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Won't happen. lol. Unless someone gets the toolchain to compile a firmware upgrade.. which a) costs too much, and b) is illegal if obtained any other way.

"Stop squirming and die like an adult, or I'm going to delete your backup. STOP! Okay, enough, I deleted it. No matter what happens now, you're dead. You're still shuffling around a little, but believe me, you're dead. The part of you that could have survived indefinitely is gone. I just struck you from the permanent record."
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:09 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Won't happen. lol. Unless someone gets the toolchain to compile a firmware upgrade.. which a) costs too much, and b) is illegal if obtained any other way.
There are already working builds of DD-WRT on the WNDR3300. Check their forum.

I'm just going to wait for a few bugs to be fixed and the code changes rolled into v24 SP2.

SS
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:16 AM
NETGEAR Addict

wow, I've been out of the loop on OSS... lol... thats my friend's area of expertise anyway, dd-wrt on a bunch of linksys wrts.. lol

Old August 13th, 2008, 12:09 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
wow, I've been out of the loop on OSS... lol... thats my friend's area of expertise anyway, dd-wrt on a bunch of linksys wrts.. lol
Yeah right now DD-WRT on WNDR3300 works except the 5GHz radio is KOed... work in progress...

SS