Old September 1st, 2008, 03:55 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

finsfan is on a distinguished road
Default How can I tell if the Router is fried?

I have a WGR614 v6 router. Yesterday, for some reason, I had slow connection speeds. I looked at the router, and all lights were on but the check mark and the wireless icon. Even 1, 2, 3 and 4 were on and I dont run LANS. Turned it off, then on, and number 3 was amber. I took the ethernet cable and went straight to computer and fine, and unhooked that even and the wireless card picked up neighbors signal and gave sporadic access at 1mbs. Left the router unhooked and unplugged overnight and same thing. Even though I was on a surge protector, does that mean this router is fried?
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:22 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How can I tell if the Router is fried?

It sounds that way, but before you replace it, check the AC adapter, it may have failed and also try resetting it.
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:39 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

You could also try factory resetting the router, see posts by June Mizoguchi e.g. this one;

http://forum1.netgear.com/member.php...poster&t=26850

And follow the Router Rest link in his signature.

My name is Andy.
Old September 1st, 2008, 05:39 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm here

sounds like stuck on diagnostic boot.. usually symptoms of bad unit
Old September 1st, 2008, 07:26 AM
NETGEAR Addict

GLaDOS is on a distinguished road

I would concur that it's a dead unit. Even though it may be acting fine, it's going to be more problems than it's worth down the road. Doing a factory reset may just put the problems off for now, but I recommend looking for a new one, and be prepared to replace it.

Think of it like your car, you notice it starting to act sluggish, and stuttering at stop lights. You take it in just to get an oil change (factory reset), but you're just putting off the inevitable because the sluggishness may have gone away for now, and the stuttering seems bearable, but the problem is in the engine and unless you get the engine fixed it's going to die, and die when you need it the most. Unlike cars, routers are cheap (comparatively), so best to replace than to try and fix.

"Stop squirming and die like an adult, or I'm going to delete your backup. STOP! Okay, enough, I deleted it. No matter what happens now, you're dead. You're still shuffling around a little, but believe me, you're dead. The part of you that could have survived indefinitely is gone. I just struck you from the permanent record."
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:28 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I went to Best Buy and got a Super G Rangemax (Mimo is what he called it).

I have a regular WG511v2 adapter. IT works fine. DO I need to get a new adapter or can I use the old one? Will I get the advantage of faster speeds? Or, since there is just two computers (one downstairs, one upstairs) on Comcast cable, do I go back with the regular router I had?
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:10 AM

always smart to post the model

Miles has better enhancement on signal reception

It will stii work with non rangemax adapter ;54mbps and 108mbps adapter but in order to have best signal. Rangemax wireless adapter is the best match
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:39 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thank you. I will probably upgrade when I get a problem with the adapter card. However, I can not tell if Comcast Hi speed cable even goes up to 108? If it does, then I will probably go get a rangemaster adapter card, unless you think I need to just go whole hog and go up to the N network? I dont play online games, rarely download more than 5 pics to send out, and don't download songs or videos. Dialup would take like a minute to log on, and bringing up some webpages took about as long. Now with hispeed cable internet, it takes like 20 seconds to get internet explorer and sometimes it can take 20 to 30 seconds to check mail on Aol.

Thanks for all the help
Old September 1st, 2008, 12:23 PM

You got realize Comcast service is 8Mbps or16Mps so you do not need to worried about it