Old September 8th, 2008, 04:19 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Cal is on a distinguished road
Default GS105 Jumbo Frames On or Off

I have this GS105 for a while now always connects to 1gbs across all pcs. Many cables tried, crass paired etc @ cat 5, 6 and 6e. Everything is netgear for nic hardware.

Best transfer speed i ever get is 1GB file takes 60sec to transfer or most times more than this. Which i equate between 12 and 16MBps.

I read somewhere that the gs105 could all be Runts. So it seem the GS105 is not working to jumbo frames of 7 (why netgear never has the JF 9 option).

The nic cards all have the option for me to set different settings and jumbo frames.

How do i get to set the GS105 or how can i reflash the GS105 for better firmware to support and set to Jumbo Frames of 7.
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:26 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GS105 Jumbo Frames On or Off

some info

http://kbserver.netgear.com/inquira/...11#__highlight
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:14 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

First - what do you mean by "jumbo frames of 7"?
Second - the GS105 is an unmanaged switch, you cannot set it, you can not upgrade the firmware.
Third - before we even get to looking at jumbo frame (which has it's own set of issues to deal with) let's discuss gigabit speeds.

1GigaBYTE in 60 seconds is 17MegaBYTE per second or approximately 136 megabits per second.

However you have not indicated how these numbers were arrived at - I will assume that it was done by transferring a 1GB file from one computer to another and timing the transfer.

The problem with this method is that it is measuring the time taken to transfer the data from disk to disk a process which includes not just the network switch, cables and NICs, but also the expansion bus in the computers along with the disk I/O subsystems and the disks themselves. The transfer will only be as fast as the slowest of these areas - things like disk fragmentation will have a serious impact on the throughput.

Try downloading QCheck from Ixia systems and use that to test your network throughput.
Old September 10th, 2008, 04:33 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordem View Post
First - what do you mean by "jumbo frames of 7"?
Second - the GS105 is an unmanaged switch, you cannot set it, you can not upgrade the firmware.
Third - before we even get to looking at jumbo frame (which has it's own set of issues to deal with) let's discuss gigabit speeds.

1GigaBYTE in 60 seconds is 17MegaBYTE per second or approximately 136 megabits per second.

However you have not indicated how these numbers were arrived at - I will assume that it was done by transferring a 1GB file from one computer to another and timing the transfer.

The problem with this method is that it is measuring the time taken to transfer the data from disk to disk a process which includes not just the network switch, cables and NICs, but also the expansion bus in the computers along with the disk I/O subsystems and the disks themselves. The transfer will only be as fast as the slowest of these areas - things like disk fragmentation will have a serious impact on the throughput.

Try downloading QCheck from Ixia systems and use that to test your network throughput.
Jumbo frames for Max size packets, which should be better than the 1500 size small packets.

Yes clock timed, no other applications open just file sharing pc to pc.

Even so it is not much faster than usb2 High or + that has 480Mbps max.

Qcheck has limits on the amount of data I can use in tests?

Quote:
We tried to strike a balance between making sure Qcheck generated enough traffic to give helpful diagnostics and not letting Qcheck generate so much traffic that it could impact network performance. We didn't want the diagnostic tool to become part of the problem. The limits are:

* For response time tests, an exchange of up to 32,000 bytes, a maximum of 10 times.
* For throughput tests, a maximum of one megabyte.
* For streaming tests, up to 30 seconds, at a maximum rate of 1 Mbps.

If you are looking for a tool that can generate additional traffic in order to test the limits of your network, consider our IxChariot product.
1MB limit or even streaming at 1MBps will give inacurate test results. Not enough time for the hd to adjust to normal transfere rates. It will still be in burst mode, making any 1Gbps test useless.
Old September 10th, 2008, 04:42 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

@jmizoguchi i see the page you linked, no i don't have in the device manager any thing similar. As stated above it is a managed system. There must be some way to invoke, a web page to adjust properties like with routers. Or even a tool to modify via gui the properties for a bios. Then flash the bios to make it better.

Mine is serial# 1FE and is a v2 device, this is not listed on the linked page. What improvements were made. Did it enable user to set jumbo frame or bios upgrade.

What i don't understand is how Netgear makes all its pci network 1Gbps cards with jumbo frames capable and then makes the GS105 switch not jumbo frame capable. This just doesn't make any sense, neither is it mentioned it is a limited capabale device that has no jumbo frame support.

This is why i think there must be a way to enable jumbo frame support. Surely Netgear wouldn't sell crap to its customers like this. There must be some way to make this better, afterall its a manufacturing or design at fault surely as netgear would not of intended to make a Gbps product with no jumbo frame support. Or was it a nod to it long time customers telling them to go away and don't buy from us ever again - we hate all netgear customers, or similar. As there must be a reason for crippling the device, as that what it is righ now crippled and of no use as is.

If Netgear knows of this and supports the device is not cripple or designed wrong, even if they know it is useless. Then i look forward asap to HACKS to make this better. HACKS on this forum or other forums, if you know tell all us GS105 suffering customers where these hacks are discussed and shared. Because i see no way would Netgear own up to this big fault they made. Neither would they replace all or any GS105 now to units that have jumbo frame support of 7.

Yes the 7 is because the Netgear pci nics i have are all limited to 7. Where other manufacture devices have upto 9 Jumbo Frame support. Maybe 7 is the max because they are weak products or chips used in manufacture, who knows.
Old September 10th, 2008, 04:51 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

I think you're confused - SERIOUSLY confused.

Did you notice the quotation marks in my question? I know what jumbo frames are - I don't know what YOU mean by "jumbo frames of 7"

And ...

Quote:
Not enough time for the hd to adjust to normal transfere rates. It will still be in burst mode, making any 1Gbps test useless.
What "hd" are you talking about? The hard disk in the system?? Did you read what I posted earlier about why timed file transfers are not effective for measuring NETWORK throughput?

QCheck loads from the disk and runs entirely from the system memory, so that the disk subsystem does NOT impact the results.

Also - this is not debatable - the GS105 is NOT a managed switch, it has NO web server, there is NO WAY to adjust any "BIOS" settings or upgrade the "BIOS".

Some models of the GS105 support jumbo frame and some don't, and you can determine which is which from the serial number - if your switch has a serial number starting with 1FE then it supports jumbo frame upto a maximum size of 9216 bytes.

Your entire premise about the switch not supporting jumbo frame is based on your not being able to transfer data at a speed that you consider fast enough - and when you're shown why your results may be misleading you choose not to listen.

Last edited by fordem; September 10th, 2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old September 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Ok just back from beign up in the loft. Now have the box for this GS605 netgear switch.

It says on the box "Jumbo Frame Support (9,000)"

So maybe its knackered not working correctly.

I need a tool to do frame transfer test counting also transfer speed testing for 1Gbps speed.

Maybe it is my switch at fault although working with no transfer errors ever.

So far i have tested on older P3 pcs and recently my P4 hyperthreading pcs. I did read a month back that these switches were not jumbo frame supported. But maybe that was the reason for the updated version models. To fix the past design or manufacture fault.

Also it doesn't explain why the 1Gbps nic drivers have max 7,000 and switches say can do 9,000 jumbo frames.

There must be a bad coder who looks after the device update coding. Even looking at the nic device .ini file show max of only 7.

So needed is updated driver that supports full jumbo frames of 9KB MTU not just max of 7KB MTU as it is now.
Speed transfer testing tools for 1Gbps lan speed tests
Frame packets testing tools to count through put of packates for tests Cabable of testing upto and past 1,488,000 packets/sec.

Switch GS605 v2
Five Nics all are 1Gbps Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

Orbital is on a distinguished road

I think he means 7k, and 9k Frame size.. configuring the packet size...

Switches and network adapters support different packet sizes, a Jumbo frame is a packet bigger than 1,500 bytes.

There is also Super Jumbo Frames (SJF) (For packets larger than 9,000 bytes)

And then for IPv6 Jumbogram

You need to make sure your NETWORK adapters support Jumbo frames over 7,000 Try different drivers if you're having a problem with this, its likely the Network adapter doesn't support it.

Last edited by Orbital; October 14th, 2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:38 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Jason404 is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: GS105 Jumbo Frames On or Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordem View Post
Qcheck looks interesting, but from the look of the webpage, it does not work with Vista/2008? I am loking for something like Qcheck, that works with Windows Server 2008.

Does anybody know if Qcheck works with Win2008, or know of anything similar that does?

Cheers
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:01 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

It's free - download it and try it - if it doesn't - here's a list of endpoints (including one for Vista) - you can install the endpoints on whatever platform you have and run QCheck on a third system instructing it to test between the endpoints of your choice.