Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old September 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Praetor is on a distinguished road
Default Always have to restart router

I have the Netgear RangeMax Next Wireless N Gigabit router, model WNR3500. Firmware version is 1.0.22_6.0.22NA. Every time I change settings such as SSID Broadcast on/off, Wireless radio on/off, Wireless password, Port forwarding, etc, and then click Apply, the router has to restart. This takes 1 or 2 minutes, and it's disruptive both to myself and other users on the network. Can this firmware be improved so the router doesn't have to restart after every little change? Other routers such as Linksys don't require restarting after changing most settings.
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Always have to restart router

normal for the router to do.. wireless is something you don't touch that often so fix it and leave it alone.
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:33 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I don't understand why changing any wireless setting, or simply turning off the wireless radio should require the router to restart. Or why changing any wireless setting should affect the ethernet network. Or why enabling or disabling UPnP or Remote Management should cause everyone to get kicked off. It may be "normal" for Netgear products, but it is certainly not the best choice of design. Can you pass this along to your engineers to see if this can possibly be improved?
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:36 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor View Post
Other routers such as Linksys don't require restarting after changing most settings.
I'm not certain I agree with that statement - I know for a fact that my DLink router restarts pretty much every time I change anything and hit apply, I also have a Linksys router that I could check.

Like June I also question why you would need to be changing settings on the router that frequently that the one or two minutes it takes for it to restart becomes a problem.
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:58 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordem View Post
Like June I also question why you would need to be changing settings on the router that frequently that the one or two minutes it takes for it to restart becomes a problem.
Testing and troubleshooting are situations in which I don't want to wait several minutes after every configuration change. And if I have to provide assistance to someone over the phone, I don't want to wait on the phone while that person's router restarts, especially if multiple settings need to be changed. I'm sure Netgear's phone support people can appreciate this.

Finally, it's not just "one or two minutes". Depending on what settings you need to change, those minutes add up. Because when you are changing settings in one section, such as Basic Wireless, you have to click Apply before you can change settings in a different section. Which means waiting for the router to restart. If you need to change settings in more than one section, that means having to restart the router multiple times.
Old September 13th, 2008, 01:30 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

If I were to anticipate the next response, would it be something like "So it takes 5 or 10 minutes longer. Why would anyone need to change router configurations multiple times a day?" That kind of questioning is not helpful. Instead of getting defensive, can we just take this as a constructive suggestion for improving Netgear products?
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:29 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

I'll give you a different response try restarting a Cisco router and see how long that takes.

I gain nothing by being "defensive", I don't work for Netgear, this is a user-user forum - and yes - I do question why would anyone need to change router configurations multiple times a day - as a professional working in the field, I will personally state that I consider that to be an abnormal requirement.

I have deployed WANs countrywide for many of the major banks here and the majority of those routers have not been touched since the day I deployed them, in some cases over five years ago - sure there has been the occasional need to troubleshoot and in some cases change configurations, but that has been the exception rather than the norm.

Oh - on the matter of being defensive - ummm - that one or two minutes - I took that straight out of your original post
Old September 13th, 2008, 08:22 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor View Post
Testing and troubleshooting are situations in which I don't want to wait several minutes after every configuration change. And if I have to provide assistance to someone over the phone, I don't want to wait on the phone while that person's router restarts, especially if multiple settings need to be changed. I'm sure Netgear's phone support people can appreciate this.

Finally, it's not just "one or two minutes". Depending on what settings you need to change, those minutes add up. Because when you are changing settings in one section, such as Basic Wireless, you have to click Apply before you can change settings in a different section. Which means waiting for the router to restart. If you need to change settings in more than one section, that means having to restart the router multiple times.
If you are changing a setting to any devices, you would expect to interrupt some . I do remote all the time and I expect not to loose any? YES. Do you expect to PC not reboot/restart and get all working when it really needs it?

Networking device may run on linux O/S but may needs less reboot but it making sure that setting do take effect.

Okay so that Linksys doesn't do.. good to compare but in reality most do reboot .

Quote:
Why would anyone need to change router configurations multiple times a day?"
to that... I say must be some compatible issue that my not working right with rest of wireless adapter that you need to do something or simply there is other wireless around that causing the issue with interferences.
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com