NETGEAR Newbie

Graphite is on a distinguished road
Question WG111v2 update problem

Hi - I've tried the search & not found anything relevant - Honest

My WG111v2 mostly works fine with it's original drivers from the CD
Driver Version: 3.0.18.201, Jun 4, 2004
Hardware Version: Rev.2
Firmware Version: 2.05.08.00

I am running WinXP Pro, Win98SE and Vista RC1. There are some niggles that the later drivers shhould sort out I think.

The problem is that everytime I try to install one of the later versions, as soon as I get to the insert adapter bit, Windows recognises new hardware and whatever I click on it seems to halt the netgear installation and windows cannot install the hardware either. If I try to reinstall to continue - the only option I get is to uninstall the device...

Any ideas?

Cheers

G
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:18 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Netgear1-9A-Z is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WG111v2 update problem

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Did you completely uninstall the software with the wizard before trying to install?
When you first run the wizard it should detect that there is another version and then remove it first, did this happen?

Peace
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:47 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Lightbulb Re: WG111v2 update problem

Thanks for the reply - it's great that you are on here giving quick feedback to users - I wish more manufacturers supported their products like this.

Yes - I did a complete uninstall of the original software and re-booted the machine. I didn't notice that the new software then removed the old installation as well. So I guess it probably didn't - I suppose I should try it again to let you know exactly what happens - 'I'll be back'

G
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:40 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Lightbulb Re: WG111v2 update problem

OK - did it like this...

Used original setups own uninstall programme, removed WG111v2 and rebooted.
Checked & no sign of network connectivity in 'System' Network adapters hardware section.
Ran setup programme from downloaded file (in this case 2.0.1 beta)
Install sheild ran
Netgear Wireless Adapter programme ran:
Welcome (click next)
Licence (accept)
Select Destination (next)
Setup Start box
Software Installation Complete box (next)
Software installation box - MS warning (continue anyway)
Installing
Insert adapter (next)
Windows found new hardware wizard appears...

Netgear installation box is not visible although checking 'Task Manager' WG111v2 is running.

Whatever I do at this point I cannot get the NetGear software to work - it never asks what world zone I am in.

I windows does ffind the right driver and install it I need to go to the device page, Addvanced tab and change 'Regulatory Domain' to Europe and then I can run with thew windows networking wizard... - but that's not what I was trying to do!

Any ideas?

Thanks

G
Old July 1st, 2007, 06:18 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

ohiosux is on a distinguished road

I need to bump this thread.

I am an advanced PC technician. I don't say that to brag, but I say it to cast aside doubt that I have not done everything within my power to ensure that this is not an issue of user error. I am experiencing the same exact problems as the user who started this thread. I have duplicated the issue on more than 1 machine. I do not have the original media, so I have no way of ensuring that the hardware actually works with the original drivers.

The device says WG111v2 and has a Serial #WG411xxx...

I have tried the latest drivers and even the v1.3 drivers. On either driver, if I try to install them manually, and select the XP (I am using XP SP2) driver I am told that this driver is not for the hardware in question.

Are there any quirks to the WG111v2 to trick it into working or do I have a dead piece of hardware here?

Thanks!
Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:17 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

jaypiddler is on a distinguished road

don't know if this will help anyone but . . .

i used to have problems with my wg111v2. now it works pretty good. i dont use the netgear software at all, i just use the windows xp networking program thingy. shows all the networks in range and the strength of signal. thats all i need. then i update the adapter driver through windows update. just did it today in fact, installed the newest driver (feb 07) without any problems.

havent done this part in awhile, but i think to physically install the adapter, you just plug it in, windows detects it, and thats it.
Old August 16th, 2007, 07:05 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

hmo is on a distinguished road

Did any of you guys find a solution to this?

(I have exactly the same problem with WG111v2 on Win XP SP2)
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:46 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

squatter is on a distinguished road

hmo and ohiosux, I seem to have exactly the same problem. Windows detects the adapter correctly but with any driver I use (ie CD, latest off Netgear site or even older versions) the driver install procedure says that the driver is not for this device.

This was straight out of the box and after 3 weeks, I have made no progress. I logged a call thru Netgear support and they told me to go see Microsoft. What do you think they will say ? Go see Netgear, I guess !

WG111v2 on Win XP SP2 with all patches applied

Just an aside : This installation failure matches the scanner I once bought which clearly stated that it ran on Win2k but after pushing the vendor, found out it did not after weeks of frustration. Vendors recommendation was to downgrade to Win98. Scanner returned. But otherwise I have had an uneventful run for over 20 years.