Old September 30th, 2008, 03:58 PM
NETGEAR Addict

GLaDOS is on a distinguished road
Talking SC101 Mount Partition in Linux

First, I need to make clear that this is only to mount a partition in (ubuntu) linux, not a zetera dataplow formatted partition. Although you can mount the dataplow partition, but since neither windows nor linux has the ability to read a dataplow partition without drivers from zetera you can't use a partition formatted with the dataplow format.

Second, I am locking this thread until I've got it completed, and clean. I will edit along the way. Note: it'll be a week before I've got another chance to work on this, because I'm going on vacation this week.

Now on with my simple,

SC101 Mount Partition in Linux Tutorial:

I used Ubuntu 8.04.1, but I'm sure you can do it with any other debian system this same way.

Here's the requirements:Now with the sc101-nbd installed, this gives you the ut command in linux. Make sure you're root when you do everything from here:
Code:
ut listall
Will list your partitions on the sc101.

With the nbd-client package installed, you'll have nbd devices. You can start with nbd0, and with other partitions use other numbers nbd1, nbd2, etc.

Code:
ut attach <id from listall> /dev/nbd0
Replace <id from listall> with the partition id from the ut listall command above.

Now /dev/nbd0 will be raw to the network block device. You can now format the partition with:
Code:
mkfs.ext2 /dev/nbd0
Or whatever file system you want. (ext2, ext3, reiser, or if you have the dataplow filesystem drivers then theoretically you can attach a zetera partition)

Now that it's formatted, mount:
Code:
mkdir /media/sc101
mount /dev/nbd0 /media/sc101
You've now mounted the sc101 partition in linux. Now just change the permissions to the drive, and you're able to read and write as a user.

I was successfully able to set up a 1gb ext2 partition and a nice 8gb swap file partition. I hope thats simple enough for those of you who do use linux, and hopefully easy enough for those who can modify it to work with their distro.

"Stop squirming and die like an adult, or I'm going to delete your backup. STOP! Okay, enough, I deleted it. No matter what happens now, you're dead. You're still shuffling around a little, but believe me, you're dead. The part of you that could have survived indefinitely is gone. I just struck you from the permanent record."

Last edited by GLaDOS; September 30th, 2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old October 8th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

Orbital is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SC101 Mount Partition in Linux

I have tested this with Ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10 long ago

I had problems with the Kernel version I was using - since it was so long ago I cant tell you what Kernel version it was.

Issue: PC would lock up when sending files over a few hundred MB (Random locks-ups caused by larger file sizes sent to the SC101)

I have not tested with Ubuntu 8.04 as I no longer own a SC101 nor have access to one.