Old October 1st, 2008, 02:21 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Jonno2001 is on a distinguished road
Question Do I need to install DG834G software on new PC

Hi All

New on here, so please accept my appologise now if this has been asked before.

I originally set-up my wireless DG834G (V3?) on my XP machine, i have a laptop which happily connects to it too, then recently i bought a new Vista desktop, it connected straight off to using the ethernet connection. I now want to totally rebuild my original XP machine, new hard drive, fresh XP install etc, I know the router will happily carry on now that its been configured once and should allow me to connect my rebuilt XP machine when i get around to it, but will i need to reinstall the Netgear software in order to access the settings (192.168.0.1) or can any of my computers get to these settings now ?? (I'm in work at the moment so can't check just now).

If i do have to have the software installed on at least one machine to access the settings pages, how do i do this without upsetting any of my existing settings and network name etc ??

Any help would be much appreciated

John
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:06 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do I need to install DG834G software on new PC

The router is set up by a PC, it is not ‘installed’ on the PC, no software is required to run on a PC for the router to operate. You access the router configuration via a web browser using the router built in HTML pages, no special software is needed to do this. If you switch the XP machine off that you used to set up the router your network continues to operate and other PCs still have Internet access. The router is a stand alone network device. Any PC can use a web browser to access the router settings, subject to the router login restriction that only one PC/device can be configuring the router at any one time.

My name is Andy.
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:17 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Jonno2001 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Mars

I hoped this would be the answer, so effectively the disc that came with the router is only to do the one-time-only network set-up, after my router was configured any of my computers can access the settings with my password

Thanks, i'll give it a whirl tonight, then finally set about rebuilding by XP machine.

Cheers
Old October 1st, 2008, 04:05 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Yes that’s correct, the only issue you might encounter if moving from one PC to another when configuring is if you don’t log out from the router configuration on the first (just quit the browser for example) and then try to log in at another PC. You will then see a message saying something like ‘IP 192.168.x.y is managing this device’. If you ever get into that state just power cycle the router.

The setup CD is really just an aid to those unfamiliar with setting up routers. Many people who have experience of these things will set the router up manually from scratch without even getting the CD out the packet. I understand that for a lot of people the setup CD leaves them with the idea that the router was ‘installed’ on the PC.

My name is Andy.
Old February 26th, 2011, 11:42 AM

studio52 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
Yes that’s correct, the only issue you might encounter if moving from one PC to another when configuring is if you don’t log out from the router configuration on the first (just quit the browser for example) and then try to log in at another PC. You will then see a message saying something like ‘IP 192.168.x.y is managing this device’. If you ever get into that state just power cycle the router.

The setup CD is really just an aid to those unfamiliar with setting up routers. Many people who have experience of these things will set the router up manually from scratch without even getting the CD out the packet. I understand that for a lot of people the setup CD leaves them with the idea that the router was ‘installed’ on the PC.

I was looking for this info, but I need just a bit more if possible, I had an XP machine when I set up the router...a Netgear WNR3500L and I replaced it this week with a new HP windows7 pc, you say I can log in from my new pc? How do I log in? where do I go to log in? When I installed the software from the CD on initial setup it put icons on my desktop I assume for a link to the configure website...now I have no icon and no clue how to get to my settings. This router is also upgradeable and able to do more...I am not sure what that means for me either....any assistance would be very much appreciated. If I did run the software again, would it screw up my network? passwords and all?...I am connecting fine right now...Just want to be able to get to it when needed...Thanks Ken
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:09 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

The icons created on the desktop are just shortcuts and utilities that may be useful, but are not needed.

Netgear routers can typically be accessed at one of the following (click and see);

http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1

This takes you to the router login screen where the default login details are;

User - admin
Password – password

Once logged in you will see html format pages generated by the router itself, they are not Internet based remote pages. After that you need to take a look at the manual to see what you want to do next.

Once a router is set up, it does not need to be set up again each time you add or remove PCs and other devices, so running the setup a second time isn’t likely to help unless you feel like starting from scratch.

My name is Andy.