Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old October 8th, 2008, 05:57 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

jetsafl is on a distinguished road
Default WGR614 V8 Not Showing Attached Devices

I have a weird issue with my router. I have two different print servers, a DLink DPR1260 and an HP Wireless G, both of which I thought there was something wrong with until I checked again. Each time I try to set them up on my WGR614 V8 router I never see them in the list of attached devices and I can't locate them on my network. It seems like the router doesn't assign them a IP address. I have three other PCs, 2 wired and 1 wireless, attached to the router that I see in the "attached devices" screen, the the print servers never show up there.
The Dlink wouldn't even show up on the list when I used the ethernet connection and wired it into the router. I have tried WEP, WPA, WPA2 and no wireless security and nothing seems to work, they just don't show up on the list. But the wired thing is when I check the routers log, it says the correct MAC ID of the server has attached to the router through the wireless.
Any ideas what is going on? I have tried Vista, XP and OSX Tiger to set both print servers up, I have cycled the power on thr router a dozen times, I have played with all the security settings. I'm stumped and probably just going to buy a new router and see if that helps. Just thought I'd check here first to see if anyone has any ideas...
Old October 8th, 2008, 07:57 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WGR614 V8 Not Showing Attached Devices

see "print server tips" on my sig below for standard tcp/ip ports setup

for osx, you should able to use ip for the print server. I would recommend to use all printer with static IP on print server side
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Let's clarify something here - is your problem that your print servers don't show up in the attached devices list - or - is it that your print servers don't work?

Many routers display a list of the arp cache as attached devices, and any device that does not communicate through the router (and there is no reason for a print server to communicate through the router) will not be displayed.
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:40 PM
NETGEAR User

cyclone is on a distinguished road

Maybe it is related to your print server that do not reply to arp.

I think NETGEAR router design on attach device is send arp to all the client device and check if it get response and show them in the attach device table.
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:04 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
Maybe it is related to your print server that do not reply to arp.
arp (address resolution protocol) is a fundamental part of the tcp/ip suite - it's hard to envisage any thing using tcp/ip that will not respond to arp - perhaps you could tell us what hardware you have come across that doesn't respont to arp.

If you set a static ip address on a device - there are two ways to communicate with it - the first is some type of custom hardware broadcast scan - sent to the hardware (MAC) broadcast address, and the other is to send an arp request containing the ip address and wait for the response.

The first method is used by setup tools such as Netgear's SmartWizard and the second is used by just about every other "day-to-day" application.

Quote:
I think NETGEAR router design on attach device is send arp to all the client device and check if it get response and show them in the attach device table.
This is an interesting concept - I will look into it a little more - but it requires sending individual arp requests to to the entire subnet - based on the time it takes my Netgear router to return the attached devices list, I don't think that's what it's doing - I do have a software application that scans the entire subnet using arp, it's a time consuming process because you have to wait for each request to time out, and even using multi threading and running on a much faster processor, the application takes a lot longer than my router.
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:29 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Fordem - to answer your original question. When I first got the Dlink DPR 1260 I thought the PS wasn't working because I couldn't reach the PS config page through either ethernet or wireless connection. Meaning I couldn't get the PS to show up on my network / attached devices page either way, so without the IP of the unit I was SOL. Then when I got the HP PS and couldn't see that on either (it can only connect wireless, no ethernet option) I began to think it was my router and not the PS fault.
I tried to set up the HP PS with a static IP, the install software walks you through the process as you set up the PS, but each IP I choose I got an error message saying that the IP I choose was not valid. I have a NAS with a static IP and have no issues with that, so I wasn't sure what that error meant.
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:33 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
I tried to set up the HP PS with a static IP, the install software walks you through the process as you set up the PS, but each IP I choose I got an error message saying that the IP I choose was not valid. I have a NAS with a static IP and have no issues with that, so I wasn't sure what that error meant.

static IP should work fine. I think you need to detail your network info on how all the setup

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old October 9th, 2008, 05:47 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jetsafl

I'm going to suggest you contact the tech support groups for your respective print servers - a couple of different reasons...
At this time I don't think your router is the problem - it's working with your PCs, and it is entirely possible (and normal) for it to not display all the devices that are physically attached to it.

First - I'm not familiar with either one of them or their configuration processes - and since this is a Netgear forum, there is not a high probability that many users will be.

Looking at what you say about the D-Link - it sounds like you're trying to get to a web configuration page and don't know or cannot determine the ip address. Possible reasons are it's dead or it's set to an unknown static address - D-Link may have a discovery tool that will scan for it and allow you to change whatever static address has been set, or it may have a reset button that does the same thing. One thing to bear in mind - D-Link may or may not have the device using DHCP be default, it is entirely possible that it uses a specific static address by default - you would need to verify this with D-Link.

On the HP - you're obviously communicating with the device - if you'd like to share the static ip addresses and subnet mask you chose (there is no security risk if these are private addresses), I could take a look at them and try to figure out why you get the error

Last edited by fordem; October 9th, 2008 at 05:51 AM.
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:14 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for the feedback, I have contacted and had my Dlink PS replaced. The reason I posted here was the outside chance that it was the router. I agree that since it works with my PCs and Wii etc that it's probably not the router, but I'm so frustrated with this that I figured I'd post and see what people had to say. What lead me to thinking it was the router was the fact that 2 Dlink and 1 Hp servers wouldn't connect to my network, could just be a coincidence.
Unfortunately the way the Dlink instructions tell you to connect to the PS is to type in Dlink-"the last 6 digits of the PS MAC), and if that doesn't work look in your router at attached devices and find the IP from there. Obviously it is not there, I can't find the IP, DLink directions and tech support weren't much help.
The HP has this software where you hook up the server using a USB cable, run the software where it writes your wireless setting to the device then runs a test to see if it can find the PS on your network. I'm at work now, so I'll post later what the static IP and subnet I tried were. I think I tried 192.168.1.40 and 255.255.255.0. Where I think the issue was it asked for default gateway and I had a hard time finding that.
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:58 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Where I think the issue was it asked for default gateway and I had a hard time finding that.
WGR router 's IP is your gateway

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy