Old October 14th, 2008, 12:06 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

rancidpunx is on a distinguished road
Default WPN824v2 constantly loses wireless connection

Hello!

My problem is as follows:

I'm constantly losing the wireless connection to the router after varying time intervals (> 1 hour). The cable connection still works fine, but using WLAN I can't even ping the router.

The strange thing is that I can still "see" my wireless network in the dropdown list that appears when I click on the WLAN icon on status bar at the top of the OS X (Leopard) desktop. When I select it it seems ok (the connection symbol shows best connectivity) but when I try to do *anything*, e.g. open a website etc. the symbol flips over to the "no-wireless-connection"-sign and that's it!

I have to switch the router off and on again to be able to use the wireless connection again.

Any ideas?

Kind regards.
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:18 PM
NETGEAR Addict

nobel_nomar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WPN824v2 constantly loses wireless connection

What wireless security mode do you have enabled?

BTW your sig made me laugh pretty hard

"Apple's market share is bigger than BMW's or Mercedes's or Porsche's in the automotive market. What's wrong with being BMW or Mercedes?" -Steve Jobs

Network Cards/Adapters:
GA311, WNDA3100

Routers/APs/Switches:
DGDN3300, FVS114, GS108, WRT54GL (DD-WRT)

Comps:
MacBook C2D 2.0Ghz/3GB/250GB
Hackintosh C2D 2.4 GHz/4GB/700GB
iPhone 3G (16GB Black), Xbox 360, PS3
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:29 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

rancidpunx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobel_nomar View Post
What wireless security mode do you have enabled?
WPA2-PSK [AES]

Quote:
BTW your sig made me laugh pretty hard
...just telling the truth!
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:30 PM
NETGEAR Addict

nobel_nomar is on a distinguished road

Switch it to WPA instead of WPA2. Seems to work better this way on my macbook as well as my custom apple desktop (both leopard)

"Apple's market share is bigger than BMW's or Mercedes's or Porsche's in the automotive market. What's wrong with being BMW or Mercedes?" -Steve Jobs

Network Cards/Adapters:
GA311, WNDA3100

Routers/APs/Switches:
DGDN3300, FVS114, GS108, WRT54GL (DD-WRT)

Comps:
MacBook C2D 2.0Ghz/3GB/250GB
Hackintosh C2D 2.4 GHz/4GB/700GB
iPhone 3G (16GB Black), Xbox 360, PS3
Old October 14th, 2008, 03:38 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

cec is on a distinguished road

has this just started heppening, is it a new setup?

I have the same model and found it very reliable. For a short while I had exactly the same problem but I didnt notice for a while - I use Firefox and nearly always have several tabs open. Whilst I was reading one tab, I would lose contact, but would regain it before I came to swicth tabs. my wife, using IE comlained for ages about losing contact before I realised.

What I did then was simply to stand the router on its end and turn it slightly. The signal improved a lot and I dont think its lost contact since. My router is under the stairs and my PC is at the same height so being on its end gives a better signal.

With previos installations, I've encountered most casues of lost signals:
anything electrical CAN cause interference and block out the signal, that includes microwaves, cordless phones, those black power supplies that come with nearly everything theses days, and even mains sockets and wiring in the wall. Filing cabinets, radiators, or anything metalic, and anything emitting any radio signal can also casue problems. So make sure your router is well away from anything like that, even if its on the other side of the wall.

Mount the router high up above the router (or low and below) rather than at the same level and give it as clear a view as possible.

Maybe to start off with, put your router a few feet away from your pc with nothing in-between and monitor it to see if it loses signal. If it does, then either the router or your wireless card is faulty. If it maintains contact, move them further apart and do the same. If you can get reasonable separation ok, then it suggests that the signal is being blocked, esp if contact is reestablished immediately in which case you need to look at your installation..
Old October 14th, 2008, 03:59 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

cec is on a distinguished road

you should also look at this other thread as much of the comments are general and apply to all wireless equipment
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=28891
Old October 14th, 2008, 05:00 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
Hello!

My problem is as follows:

I'm constantly losing the wireless connection to the router after varying time intervals (> 1 hour). The cable connection still works fine, but using WLAN I can't even ping the router.

The strange thing is that I can still "see" my wireless network in the dropdown list that appears when I click on the WLAN icon on status bar at the top of the OS X (Leopard) desktop. When I select it it seems ok (the connection symbol shows best connectivity) but when I try to do *anything*, e.g. open a website etc. the symbol flips over to the "no-wireless-connection"-sign and that's it!

I have to switch the router off and on again to be able to use the wireless connection again.

Any ideas?

Kind regards.
make sure you are using B &G and not auto108Mbps.

WPA+WPA2 encryption should be fine. as long as icon shows connected , you should able to so check wireless settings on router

also if this fixes but no interenet.. go to system preferences>network and type in manual DNS 4.2.2.2/4.2.2.1