Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:36 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Besty is on a distinguished road
Default WGT624v2 - Keeps cutting out

When I try and play Age of Empires II online my network goes offline and I have to reset the router to get it back on. I enter the IP of the game I'm joining, double click on the game when it appears and I get in, sometimes after 1 or 2 minutes in there I get disconnected, but other times I can last half the game or sometimes even the whole game. I have opened the port for the game on the router and my firewall and I have the Windows Firewall disabled.

I play other games online such as Call of Duty 2 and Medal of Honor Allied Assault so it's nothing to do with online gaming, etc.

I checked the Event Viewer when I got disconnected and these are the errors that show up:
Quote:
Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 0004E225A398. The IP address being used is 169.254.252.43.

Quote:
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0004E225A398. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.
Can anyone help me?!
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:51 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Netgear1-9A-Z is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WGT624v2 - Keeps cutting out

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Is this a wired or wireless connection?
Do you have another DHCP server in the network? A modem/router?
Have you upgraded the firmware on the router?

Peace
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:54 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

1. It's wireless.
2. Not that I know of, although on another forum someone said my modem might have one but I don't think it has. But they are the only devices in the network. (Router and modem).
3. Nope but I'll try and do it now!
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:59 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Oops, can you change topic name to v3, made a typo.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:02 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besty View Post
Oops, can you change topic name to v3, made a typo.
Think the firmware may have helped, just played a couple games without it going off. Cheers!
Old January 25th, 2007, 06:40 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Grrr! The other problem fixed but today it keeps cutting out randomly every hour or so, very annoying. The 'CABLE' light on the modem which is usually on constantly now starts flashing and then I get disconnected.
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:49 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

*Bump*.....
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

sammydad1 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

WGT624 "cut-out" issues have been all over the old forums for couple years now. I presume they are also in here as well. I just got back to this new version of forums the other day.

My WGT624 v2 took me some 7 months to get useable, and only because I am a computer guy did I bother to endure the challenge. With LOTS of help from the old forum, I was successful to the point where it would only lose internet about once every couple weeks; as opposed to several times a day.

Last week or so, my router suddenly started to lose internet repeatedly again. Nothing changed here at home that I could tell, so I was almost ready to pitch this unit for something else.

On a last ditch effort, I decided to plunge in for the latest firmware. Previously I had held off because I was "stable" with the .8 firmwawre (or was it .7 ??) So now I am at .11

Amazingly, I am stable again. Altho I can't really begin to say why I suddenly became Unstable after being stable for so long.

I can speculate that because the new firmware got rid of 108 Mbps ONLY mode in deference to the Auto-108 mode, it takes pressure (which leads to heat build up) off the wireless chipset inside the router.

I also took the liberty of updating all my wireless PCs to their respective newest driver/software. Altho the WG311T NEWEST versions would not run with all of the cards I have here (4 or 5). I had to back date to an earlier version that was compatible with my wireless cards.

My laptop using a WG511T handled the newest software/driver fine and runs like a champ. Altho because of the changes in the software, it does not show 108 all the time unless the extra bandwidth is needed as determined by the software, then it goes from 54 to 108 immediately.

If your router is overheating, I suggest you at least remove both end-caps from the case and position the router vertically. ALso cut the rubber "foot" portion that would cover the end cap. This positioning allows for a much improved passive heat dissipation. The heat itself rises from the top of the unit and creates its own airflow. Many others have gone to much further extremes to improve airflow on these routers.

Of course, this doesn't touch on the power supply issues others have fought thru.....guess I got lucky on that account...but I DO suggest your router be on a battery backup circuit for power.

Dave
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:23 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Besty, what is the manufacturer and model number of your modem?
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:12 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

It's a Netgear WGT624v3, made a mistake in the topic title. My router has now started cutting out all the time, last night it was only staying on for like 5 mintues at a time. Really need help! :O